Top covering on concrete recommendation

Yeah Matt, think your right there.
Hard to say without seeing the floor, as you said mate the sub floor needs testing.

Sponsored Links
What f.ball products are you looking at?
You could do
Stopgap green bag with 114 liquid screed
2 coats F75 dpm
Prime neat
Stopgap green bag with 114 liquid screed

Those are exactly the products I was looking at last night. Was reading the technical data and they seem to be the best suited.

The initial StopGap Green bag and 114 is to bring it level prior to the F75 right, filling in dip and gaps?

Yes to bring the height up and make it more level. Also a dpm is best onto screed so no holes are in it and it goes further.

as daz says.

However you need someone to assess the surrounding area as this will make a difference on if it will work.

DAZ, have a look at picture 1 + 2 that he has posted up. Hard to say of pictures but do you think there may be bonding issues? also he has removed magnesite from the sub-base so could do with strength testing before deciding on compound / screed system.

Thanks again Matt. As per your recommendation ill give Nick from Hood Carpets and flooring a ring if you think hes best suited and see what he makes of it.

Do other screeds have a better strength property than products such as the fball range I've mentioned? I am a little unsure as to what a strength test consists of, does it tend to be a destructive test. I'm particularly wary as our property and adjoining sit on a raft so any disruption that can be avoided seems to be the best.

Sponsored Links
In your pics the subfloor looks weak.

You can get it tested by sending away core samples but not cheap unless you know someone that knows what there looking at and an tell you on site with some simple tests. There are very few people that can inspect and give you a verdict on strength tho. As for someone looking and telling you if you have moisture issues, well this is impossible without proper test equipment.

If it needs to strengthened then this is simple providing a epoxy product can be used. BUT depending on what is going on around the property can make a difference to if you can use it and also what the moisture levels are etc.

There is also the structural strength, as you have removed product from the floor it may of been adding structural strength properties but i dought it. Again cant say with out testing.

As for compression strength, this all depends on your concrete strength and what you plan to fit on top. The safest route is to use a low strength compound . BUT you cant use low strength or a water based mix of using dpm systems.

In your pics the subfloor looks weak.

You can get it tested by sending away core samples but not cheap unless you know someone that knows what there looking at and an tell you on site with some simple tests. There are very few people that can inspect and give you a verdict on strength tho. As for someone looking and telling you if you have moisture issues, well this is impossible without proper test equipment.

If it needs to strengthened then this is simple providing a epoxy product can be used. BUT depending on what is going on around the property can make a difference to if you can use it and also what the moisture levels are etc.

There is also the structural strength, as you have removed product from the floor it may of been adding structural strength properties but i dought it. Again cant say with out testing.

As for compression strength, this all depends on your concrete strength and what you plan to fit on top. The safest route is to use a low strength compound . BUT you cant use low strength or a water based mix of using dpm systems.

I am not aware of any other issues around the property. The adjoining room I have had stripped out and right back to brick. No issues with the slab in there (there was no top coat in this room).

Hall and kitchen have terrazzo flooring so not sure under there, not that I'd ever find out under that stuff ;)

The garage slab is visible with no issues at all despite the the weather recently and suspected no DPM in the property (1950s build).

The testing sounds interesting but taking the old concrete out (unless failing completely) is not really an option due to the raft as could effect the structure of the properties. I need a top cost that is obviously going to bind and where possible add strength if there is such a thing?

someone that knows there stuff wont need to take core samples or damage your subfloor.

If you was doing yourself or using someone that didnt know when looking they would send off a core sample to someone like ourselves.

Cant say for sure but Nick Hood and Chris may be able to do without a core sample. To be fair if they get stuck on something they normally end up at FloorSkills etc with samples ready for this chap to look at - ........

O he is local to you also. He actually lives in Shirley but he is also a partner of FloorSkills .

someone that knows there stuff wont need to take core samples or damage your subfloor.

If you was doing yourself or using someone that didnt know when looking they would send off a core sample to someone like ourselves.

Cant say for sure but Nick Hood and Chris may be able to do without a core sample. To be fair if they get stuck on something they normally end up at FloorSkills etc with samples ready for this chap to look at -

O he is local to you also. He actually lives in Shirley but he is also a partner of FloorSkills .

Do you not fancy taking a peek yourself Matt or does your FloorSkills company take up a lot of your time? What would an assessment cost roughly?

Cant say for sure but Nick Hood and Chris may be able to do without a core sample. To be fair if they get stuck on something they normally end up at FloorSkills etc with samples ready for this chap to look at - .......

Do you not fancy taking a peek yourself Matt or does your FloorSkills company take up a lot of your time? What would an assessment cost roughly?

PM me address, if im passing on way home i will pop in for 5 minutes. You get 5 mins free of charge !

If i see it needs a lot more than 5 mins then i can spec the job for you at a charge. I had time tonight to come past but i dont think i will have time again this month to write a spec report for you.

Yes FloorSkills has me booked up every day for next 18 months with odd days i can get away early so yes i am fully booked you could say .

Cant say for sure but Nick Hood and Chris may be able to do without a core sample. To be fair if they get stuck on something they normally end up at FloorSkills etc with samples ready for this chap to look at - .....

PM me address, if im passing on way home i will pop in for 5 minutes. You get 5 mins free of charge !

If i see it needs a lot more than 5 mins then i can spec the job for you at a charge. I had time tonight to come past but i dont think i will have time again this month to write a spec report for you.

Yes FloorSkills has me booked up every day for next 18 months with odd days i can get away early so yes i am fully booked you could say .

Ill be sure not to offer you a cuppa then :) just kidding!

That sounds great, trying to find the PM option but can't see it so have 'added' you first to see if that'll help..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back