Top Gear to screen train stunt..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6394845.stm

No problem with showing that..
We have a Renault with the weired 'starter button' .... Key card in slot, clutch in, quick stab at starter button ... The system takes over and the thing hopefully starts up - as 'drive' sits hands on wheel .. an odd feeling, almost as odd as the 'auto release on drive take up' - handbrake - Switch operated.

Fine so far.

Two things.
1) If the engine should cut out on let's say a level crossing, no chance of driving her clear on the starter button ... interlocks prevent this.. (I drove a mini out of the deeper part of a flooded road after dousing the HTs with the old bow-wave ... used the floor mounted starter button, in 1st gear. )

2) God forbid a Renault brake situation at anything above 30 mph, judicious use of the hand brake in most cars may provide a safe outcome - but Renault's 'On or Off' just is not very subtle ... Haven't tried applying the brake at anything above a fast walking pace .. I wonder if it might also be interlocked out?

Just a musing.
:(

Sponsored Links
Good idea to show it.

There are too many idiots who take chances on level crossings. The pity is that trains and their passengers suffer when the idiot's car is written off.

But I agree about the stupid Renault system. I have one and being able to take the "key" out and the engine is still running is the annoying thing. If the "stop" doesn't happen one can take the key and get out and leave the engine running.

Down in Kent , on the minature Romney railway.........Train Drivers are the ones killed :evil:

From the BBC site

"In 2004, seven people died when a high-speed London to Plymouth train hit a car parked on a level crossing at Ufton Nervet in Berkshire."

Parked???????????

Sponsored Links
Would anyone have survived that crash......I doubt it.

What about the unmanned and un-gated (?) crossings that dot the country side.

What car would be best to be hit by a train???

iirc the one in 2004 was the one where it was somebody who comitted suicide by parking their car on a level crossing and waiting for a high speed train to come along.

Daz66 said:
Would anyone have survived that crash......I doubt it.

What about the unmanned and un-gated (?) crossings that dot the country side.
I don't think there will be many without flashing lights and klaxons though, I think most on main roads are manned and gated or have barriers now. There are a lot for farmers to cross into fields around here, they all have telephones and have gates on each side though.
What car would be best to be hit by a train???

none, it can be likened to a sparrow hitting the windscreen of your car.

It put the willies up me to see it happen.

I don't cross many railway lines, around here they are up high on embankments, but even in my Discovery it would be the finish of us all.

Sometimes the lights, klaxon and barriers fail, this has happened a couple of times in Norfolk near my mum's and there have been fatalaties.

Any of about a dozen ministerial buggys... :D

Sponsored Links
Back