top hung upvc window has dropped- fixes please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. several of our top hung upvc windows seem to have have "dropped" at the rear of our house and we have to slam them to shut them as they are catching on the casing at the bottom. is this a quick fix or shall i contact a glazing firm? they have child restricted catches on them also (not sure if relevant). the windows are approx 8yo but have been doing it since we moved in approx 3 years ago so may have always done this. thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would say you need new hinges. Should be fairly cheap to buy at around £10 for a pair (if that). As long as your happy to fit them it should be a cheap job. Maybe take a hinge in with you when you buy your replacements so you get the exact same hinges as there are a few variants. That is my opinion.

If the hinges are still closing tightly at the top of the frame you don't need new ones, all you need to do is unscrew the hinges from the frame and move the screws down the sash by a few mm (usually just enough to get another screw fixing in by the existing holes) Some of the screws will be fixed through slotted holes in the hinge, so hopefully you can just loosen those ones and slide the hinge along and re-tighten. With 2 people this is pretty easy to do yourself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back