Torbeck Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently fitted a new bathroom suite and the toilet came complete with a Torbeck bottom entry valve. I cannot stop the valve closing without 3-4 judders. :( I have tried a couple of different size comb filters to reduce the flow pressure with no effect, even tried turning the inline valve pressure down, although our water pressure aint that strong anyway.

Everything I read about these valves tells me that they are very quiet when closing, am I missing something or have I got a faulty one? :confused:

Any help appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
You have loose pipes. These valves have a habit of not shutting off, but once they do you down to your feeds.

Clip and secure.

Clip and secure.

It is worth taking the front cap off teh valve, and letting the water rush through to dislodge ant grit or sediment. Reassemble it with great care of the pin in its tiny hole.

There is also an occasional problem with these valves giving water hammer/drumming vibration in the few seconds before they close (which is odd because they are normally very quiet).

If you think that's happening, email sales at opella co uk and describe it.

They will reply saying it sounds like water hammer, and ask for your name and address, and will then send you the new prototype part which solves it (free).

Don't say I told you.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
There is also an occasional problem with these valves giving water hammer/drumming vibration in the few seconds before they close (which is odd because they are normally very quiet).

If you think that's happening, email sales at opella co uk and describe it.

They will reply saying it sounds like water hammer, and ask for your name and address, and will then send you the new prototype part which solves it (free).

Don't say I told you.

This sounds like the problem i'm having, I have checked the pipe is not loose (held it whilst the problem occured), the valve itself visibly drums/hammers as you describe, just as its trying to close. I'll email them and let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks to both of you for your assistance :)

Sent email earlier today, got this reply within a couple of hours:

You are suffering unfortunately with what we call ‘Water Hammer’ which is the most unusual problem, for instance you could take your valve out an put it in my toilet cistern at home, and chances are it wouldn’t react the same way. As we know this can happen sometimes, we have manufactured what we call, ‘proto type parts’ which consist of a new front cap and a small moving spacer which fits behind. When fitted in place of your existing front cap this will de-sensitize the valve and stop the noise.

I will send you the parts with a set of fitting instructions in today’s post.

I'll post back when its fitted. Thanks again for the help :D

they did the same for me. Credit where it's due, I found them very responsive and helpful, and yes, it did cure the noise.

Having got the first set of parts I found that they were very slightly different, in size i mean. The rubber seal did'nt sit well and the arm assembly was a very tight fit into the main assembly. this resulted in a constant drip from the screw cap, and the water would not shut off when the cistern was full! I was sent a further set that also included a rubber seal and a new arm. after a lot of trial an error I found that it worked by using the new arm and rubber seal along with the old remaining parts?
Anyway its working now :)

Thanks for all your help :)

I know that this thread is amost 3 years old, but I thought I'd share my experience anyway.
I fitted a side-entry Torbeck valve yesterday, and found that just before it closes, there was a very loud juddering sound in the rising main pipework, somthing like a pneumatic drill being used in the house. I checked that the rising main pipework was properly secured, and then did some reading online, which is when I came across this thread.
Seems to me that the problem is caused by the (very light) Torbeck float bouncing about on the ripples on the water surface, which are caused by dripping from the valve's anti-syphon assembly. I thought that maybe adding a bit of weight to the float might stabilise it, so I fixed a bit of Blu-Tack about the size of a marble to the top of he float - hey presto, job done! I have also phoned Opella who make Torbeck valves, and the receptionist who answered the phone, upon heaing the words "water hammer", immediately offered to send me their 'prototype parts kit' in the post. I'll try this when it turns up, but in the meantime the Blu-Tack tip might be of help to anyone else who suffers this problem.

they have amalgamated with Fluidmaster now, maybe they can't be bothered changing the assembly line.

Or perhaps they have got a billion of the old design in a warehouse somewhere.

Funnily enough, one of mine (been in I think since well before 2004) got some grit in it a couple of weeks ago, I took it off, rinsed it in clean water, let water gush from the pipe for a minute to wash it out, and now working fine again. They are rather prone to grit problems.

I love the silence and simplicity of these little things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back