torch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Led torch that the duracell batteries have leaked and are now stuck in the torch and was wondering if anyone had a way of getting them out, I can only think of drilling them out but that sound messy I would appreciate any other possible solutions.

Sponsored Links
I think drilling them out might be a bit drastic? Can you poke something down the side to break through the corrosion?

If not you'll have to destroy the battery to get it out, how about maybe try a corkscrew?

Try wd40, will not harm the contacts, though probably ruined by acid.

Try wd40, will not harm the contacts, though probably ruined by acid.
Yep, if it's leaked that much the liquid will have got into the electronics and switch as well. What is it with Duracell batteries lately though? They used to come with a lifetime leak guarantee didn't they? I've had one or two of their batteries leak lately. Wonder what's happened.

Sponsored Links
counterfeit batteries are sold in some corner shops and street markets.

counterfeit batteries are sold in some corner shops and street markets.
Could well be that, although I generally avoid getting batteries from anywhere that doesn't at least have a good turnover in them. Can't remember where the particular ones came from, they didn't do any damage luckily.

White vinegar will fizz and dissolve the white deposit if that is any help, then clean off residue of vinegar with a damp cotton bud or similar.

Thanks for the replies I was hoping there might be a way of dissolving the battery acid, the torch was still working when I switched it on but very dim. I bought the batteries from morrisons supermarket so I would think they were genuine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back