Torque wrench settings and where to find them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ford fiesta zetec 1.2 litre petrol
2009, 89000 miles

Ivhave been looking for the torque settings for the sump plug.
It's an aluminium pan so guessing i have to be more careful.

I found on the interner, a setting of 10nm, is that right?

Sponsored Links
10Nm doesn't sound right so, I suspect that could be the little sump pan bolts.
I've never torqued a sump plug in my life and, I don't know anybody who has. Turn it in tight with a spanner, give it a good tighten but don't force it and it will be ok.

Always use a torque wrench and a new washer.
Those aluminium pans deform very easily, that's why a hollow copper washer is usually required.
This squashes to the pan's shape under the correct torque.
Then you have the nutters like me torqueing everything and using demineralised water even in the windscreen reservoir (mixed with the correct liquid).
Bodgers don't use torque wrenches and they usually over tighten every bolt.
Mottie, tell us how many times you find yourself drilling spark plugs out tightened by "mechanics" who don't own a torque wrench.
This is a classic.

Sponsored Links
Mottie, tell us how many times you find yourself drilling spark plugs out tightened by "mechanics" who don't own a torque wrench.
Never drilled a spark plug out in my life. I’ve had a few that have snapped leaving the threaded portion in the head when removing them because they were too loose and blow-by carbon had built up on the thread but they’ve always exclusively been tapered seat plugs fitted to OHV Fiesta's. Always got them out with an easy-out.

Bodgers don't use torque wrenches and they usually over tighten every bolt.
Thanks, after nearly 50 years in the game that's the first time I've been referred to as a "bodger".
BTW, I've never had to drill out a spark plug or a sump plug. But then, I've always been surrounded by professionals, not bodgers.

Thanks, after nearly 50 years in the game that's the first time I've been referred to as a "bodger".
BTW, I've never had to drill out a spark plug or a sump plug. But then, I've always been surrounded by professionals, not bodgers.
50 years in the game without using a torque wrench???
Your area must be covered in oil from all those deformed sumps or loose plugs...

50 years in the game without using a torque wrench???
Your area must be covered in oil from all those deformed sumps or loose plugs...
Sorry, I don’t recall having written it, could you please show me where I said that I haven’t used a torque wrench for 50 years?

Never drilled a spark plug out in my life. I’ve had a few that have snapped leaving the threaded portion in the head when removing them because they were too loose and blow-by carbon had built up on the thread but they’ve always exclusively been tapered seat plugs fitted to OHV Fiesta's. Always got them out with an easy-out.
Those taper seat plugs are the absolute pits! They can be a real sod to get out.

As other have said, 10Nm sounds too low. My "little" torque wrench only goes down to 20 NM!
And no, I've never torqued a sump plug in my life, but somehow, the oil stays in and I can undo them again when I next change the oil, so I'm happy!

All except the boat engine, for some reason. That's a brass plug into an aluminium casting. Doesn't matter how gently I do it up, it's always a swine to undo, the following season. I've even twisted a 3/8" extension bar trying!

Sponsored Links
Back