Torrent download sites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I got an Ipod for Christmas & am totally new to all this music download stuff but have in the past been very into free hooky software downloads. Visiting the Ipod download site shows a particular album I’m interested in for £7.99, fine so far. If I Google search the same album I get invites to download it from any number of “torrent” sites (what’s a torrent site anyway?) but have to become a member first. One particular site costs £24 for lifetime membership with unlimited downloads but to my very suspicious mind this doesn’t seem to make any sense at all; why isn’t everyone doing it? or perhaps they are! Is this just another rip off & they don’t really have anything to offer except ancient compilations or albums well past their sell by date; I’ve always believed there is no such thing as a free lunch, is this just another example? Are these sites actually legal?

Sponsored Links
I'd be very careful where you download any torrents from, I save any I download straight into a quarantined folder before scanning with everything I have. From my own experience alot come with spyware or adware ad-ons that wont be picked up. I'm sure its not legal, torrents use small bits from sometimes 100's of people to put together an album this makes it almost impossible to trace.

My mate uses torrent sites more than me, I'll drop a msg and see what he thinks best.

Gobs.

These torrent sites are offering you an illegal copy. And there are open, free sites you can use anyway (not that I'm going to go linking them).

Sponsored Links
These sites?

All sites are illegal, subscribed ones are less likely to come with stuff that's going to corrupt your Pc.

Don't use them myself.

All sites are illegal

Yes, if it hosts torrents it must be illegal!!!!!

Please, learn what torrents are. Bittorrent is a protocol. It is not illegal. Hell, most of these sites are actually legal in their country of origin. Using them to obtain copyrighted files, however, is illegal.

Don't be paying for membership to any sites for downloading torrents.

If you're willing to take the risk of downloading files from torrent sites (not all torrents are illegal, but if you're sharing copyrighted material, then it is), there are plenty torrent sites that are pretty reliable. Best thing is to read the comments on files before downloading - most folk on torrent sites will be pretty vocal if there are viruses or malware on any torrents they've downloaded - but always run it through your antivirus/antispyware software before opening it anyway.

Thanks all for the responses, very educative & confirms what I thought; even done some initial reading on Torrents. Thing is I’ve now to decide weather to stay reformed & legal or go back to my old wicked ways used on software. :LOL:

stay legal, please, the artists need to make a living (even if it is lavish) the music I listen to is less "popular" if they are not supported in a legal way they will not carry on.

with regards to software, the companies need the revenue to improve and release new versions.

stay legal, please, the artists need to make a living (even if it is lavish) the music I listen to is less "popular" if they are not supported in a legal way they will not carry on.

with regards to software, the companies need the revenue to improve and release new versions.
Yes probably will; accumulating years seems to grow scruples as well as wrinkles :LOL: ! I think the moral case for musicians is worthy but I used to have a very cavalier attitude towards software, the likes of Mr Gates being so wealthy & all; but I even have legal versions of Vista & W7 now. :rolleyes:

Win7 I can understand, but you paid for Vista?!
I didn't say I paid for the Vista OS disc; but it is a legit copy ;) ; & no, I'm not a shoplifter :LOL: Got it installed as a dual OS but I don’t really like it much so have always stuck with XP Pro.

Only just got W7 pre-loaded on a new laptop I bought for the wife so still having a look before deciding weather or not to abandon trusty old XP Pro which I’ve been using since beta version. Despite my best efforts, the MS site blocks me out on everything now so it’s getting quiet out of date & I’ve even considered making it legal with Advantage; no W7 install disc with the laptop though which is a bummer! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back