Toshiba TV intermittent fault

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m seeking some advice if possible. My above mentioned tv is playing up, albeit intermittently. We knock it off at the plug, as we don’t leave it on standby (no physical button). Sometimes when it’s plugged back in and turned on, the tv doesn’t come on.

It used to have a plastic Earth pin, but it got damaged, so I cut the moulded plug off and wired into a standard plug, but don’t think that’s the issue, as it worked fine. Today, I carried out a plug check, and between L and N the resistance was approx: 1.901 mega ohms, it obviously nothing to indicate what it should be. I also did a plug check at the extension lead with a socket tester, which gave a weird result, however this also gave similar results in other sockets.

I accept I might need a new tv, and happy to purchase a new one, but didn’t want to overlook anything simple

Sponsored Links
I’m seeking some advice if possible. My above mentioned tv is playing up, albeit intermittently. We knock it off at the plug, as we don’t leave it on standby (no physical button). Sometimes when it’s plugged back in and turned on, the tv doesn’t come on.

When it fails to come on, what do you have to do, to get it on?

If it's not obviously poor mains connections, then I would look at failing capacitors in the switch mode power supply.

When it fails to come on, what do you have to do, to get it on?

If it's not obviously poor mains connections, then I would look at failing capacitors in the switch mode power supply.
Unplug it for a while, maybe up to 10 minutes and then it’s pot luck if it works. I saw a YT video, and there’s talk of a couple of failing parts, but the wife won’t allow me to check anything out (don’t ask).

Sponsored Links
Unplug it for a while, maybe up to 10 minutes and then it’s pot luck if it works. I saw a YT video, and there’s talk of a couple of failing parts, but the wife won’t allow me to check anything out (don’t ask).
When it fails to turn on properly next time, humour me, and try shorting the plug pins on a screwdriver and see if that helps.

You can also try keeping it on standby. The additional cost of electricity won't be huge, compared to the cost of a new TV :)

, but the wife won’t allow me to check anything out (don’t ask).
We won't ask, but TVs are so modular these days, a power board can be an easy swap out and if it's failing anyway, there's not a lot to lose!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The test for failing capacitors (a common problem) is heat and cold, but if SWMBO won't let you tinker then it's all a bit moot. Buy a new TV. It's an expensive solution as an alternative to replacing £2.00 worth of parts, but if she can do without new shoes or meals out for a while then it should be "a sacrifice you're willing to make". ;) :LOL::LOL: (Lord Farquaad from Shrek)

If, by some miracle, she lets you play, then you'll need a hair dryer and a can of freeze spray. Standard safety warning: You'll be working near live mains voltages. If you're not confident about this then go no further. So, the back of the TV needs to be off, and you should be able to find the power supply. Plug in the TV and switch on. If it fails to come on, apply a little heat to the capacitors. This often coaxes a dying cap back to life temporarily. In effect, you're bump-starting it.

Next, switch off and then give the caps a squirt with freeze spray. Not enough to leave a covering of frost though. You know, water and electricity. The cold will tip the caps into failure. Repeat with heating. If the pattern of 'cold = no power, warm = power' holds then you've found the cause.

Replace the caps like-for-like, same voltage, same capacitance value. Make sure to choose low ESR capacitors.

If, by some miracle, she lets you play, then you'll need a hair dryer and a can of freeze spray. Standard safety warning: You'll be working near live mains voltages. If you're not confident about this then go no further. So, the back of the TV needs to be off, and you should be able to find the power supply. Plug in the TV and switch on. If it fails to come on, apply a little heat to the capacitors. This often coaxes a dying cap back to life temporarily. In effect, you're bump-starting it.

The Mk I eyeball should be the first stage of diagnostics. Look for the ends of caps, which might be bulging slightly, or where they have the seal bulging out, at the wire ends.

Well, I purchased a new tv, but it’s going back. Utter Shiite on the sound quality. It states “expect to hear the same as what you would in a movie theatre” - if I paid for that in the movies, I’d walk out and expect a refund! Tv in question is a Toshiba 32” “smart” tv, what I did find was the manual in the back states audio as German + Nicam? Anyway back to looking for a replacement that swmbo wants delivered today/tomorrow. Anyone recommend any in the 32” range, with decent sound quality?

Anyone recommend any in the 32” range, with decent sound quality?

Sound quality is very subjective, what is fine for one person, may not satisfy another. I had a big screen plasma in the living room, it's sound was so poor I had to add a soundbar. I replaced that with a big screen LG, and was expecting to need to add a soundbar, because it's speakers were even tinier, but found it completely unnecessary.

I bought two more 32" LG's, for the bedrooms, and their sound has been likewise more than adequate for me.

• Thanks
Sound quality is very subjective, what is fine for one person, may not satisfy another.
Very true. The comparison between the old toshiba and this new one is the old one was far superior in sound. The old one we could have on volume 10 - 12 depending on what was being watched. The new one has to be on a tv least 20 to hear it, and sounded like a cheap 14” caravan one!

Any LG will see you OK, Richer Sounds or John Lewis if you want it today (in stock only?) Or tom delivered and with a decent warranty, got a feeling RS is 6 years now though.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back