total newbie question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok in my defense this is my first house so please help :(

my girlfriend turned our livingroom into a pond the other week and next door came to assist as i was away visiting family. now we have an issue with very low pressure on the hot water throughout the house. this results in all the taps stuttering and splattering but more importantly the bath tap comes on fine and then after a few seconds dies out even on full open

i am unable to locate where the stop vave is for this. if anyone is in the aberdeen area these are the new houses in ashwood. the nieghbor is away at the moment and i need to get this sorted as im feeling pretty grubby

i have located the following

under the sink in the kitchen, there is a set op red and blue stop taps i presume are for the washing machine next to them also a single tap which does not seem to affect anything?

in the bathroom there is a cupboard with a "hercal" coil indirect heater
there are 2 pipes that run off this that are hot water (by touch) and neither of these have a release valve of any sort. they do however have a small grey box marked potterton model no msv322 and a larger one i cant get to.

there are also 2 pipes coming from the loft that are cold to the touch and have release valves, neither of which affect the hot water

in the loft there are 2 tanks of water. 1 is cold as can get the lid off the other i am not sure about. there are 3 taps up here which will not turn with a reasonable amount of force by more than a millimimetre each way. im a little frightened to force them to turn given that ive already made an insurance claim

is anyone able to point me in the likely location of the hot water tap? i know my description is likely very rubbish but im just a pc engineer all this diy stuff flies over my head :)

Sponsored Links
identify the 22mm (maybe bigger) pipe from bottom of big cold tank that enters the bottom of the cylinder, this is the hot water cylinder feed and there should be a valve on it turn this and it will isolate your hot water to the taps........hopefully!

and you are looking for something like this to isolate the incoming mains

http://www.plumbsave.net/plumbsave-large/BRASC22.jpg

BTW - if your a new homebuyer then maybe worth whilst buying some books on 'how a house works' etc - will come in handy and increase your knowledge.. better to learn from a book than from a disaster! :D

Sounds like an air lock. If you've got a mixer tap cover the end with your hand, turn on the hot tap first then the cold (you might get wet) do this in 30 second bursts then see if its worked. If you dont have a mixer use your washing machine hoses (hot to cold) and do as above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back