touch lamps not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago I bought four touch lamps. One by one they have all stopped working as touch lamps - the light stays on permanently and can only be put off at the plug, which is not really convenient for bedside lamps. I really like the lamps so don't want to throw them out. Can they be fixed or could I get them changed to work like ordinary lamps with switches.

Sponsored Links
Would i be right in thinking that 'touch' operation was really a push- or are you meaning finger sensitive surface ?

If push, then there's a mechanical switch that may have simply failed and might be replaceable.

If it is a true touch device then it's unlikely you will get a cheap / economically viable repair.

You don't mention the bulb types so without knowing if the light is 230v /24v / 12v it's difficult to guess whats inside the units.

It could be viable to retain the existing units since they do work and simply add in a cord switch to the existing flex. I'd be unhappy to do that without opening up a unit and seeing what's wrong because I'm an engineer, and because I like things to work as they were intended.

If the switch has failed, I'd bypass the internal switch and do as above.

My future parents in law had one of these fail recently, it was just the triac that had gone short circuit.

I fitted a higher current device for a couple of quid.

Sponsored Links
My future parents in law had one of these fail recently, it was just the triac that had gone short circuit.

I fitted a higher current device for a couple of quid.

I've replaced the triac with a higher current device and now full functionality restored.However, the bulb now flickers- it even flickers using the bulb from a second identical lamp where the bulb doesn't flicker at all. Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back