touch on touch off lamp sensor, 240V

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a table lamp with a metal base that I wish to convert to a touch on touch off lamp ( simple on/off, no dimming requirement).

I see there is a unit for 110V available on ebay and here www.touchandglow.com/product-p/diy-l2.htm
though I can find nothing that works with 240V as required here in the UK.

Anyone aware of where a simple 240V on/off (do not want dimming) touch conversion kit can be purchased ?

Thanks

K ez

Sponsored Links
Never come across a 240V touch sensor kit for lamps, I would be tempted to buy a new lamp with this function available. For the hassle of sourcing then fitting this component, I doubt the retro-fit stacks up.
Unless the existing lamp is dearly loved and if so do not operate on it, as it is not poorly!
But I am sure I have come across some plug-in adaptors, that can offer this function!

Hi,

Anyone aware of where a simple 240V on/off (do not want dimming) touch conversion kit can be purchased ?

thanks

K ez

Sponsored Links
There is no such kit, and never will be.

To fit one, you would need to have a lamp with a metal body, which in the UK would be connected to earth.
You then need to remove the earth connection and totally change the internal construction of the lamp to include additional insulation making it a Class II appliance (more than 99% of people won't know how to do this).

Then testing will be required (using equipment which more than 99% of people will not have, won't know how to use or even know exists) to ensure the quality of the insulation does actually make it a Class II.

You could then install a touch sensor kit which has been manufactured and approved for use in the EU (in the unlikely event you can actually find such a thing), and then test again before it can be used.

Those other kits exist because in the USA, they care little about electrical safety and most table lamps and other appliances are supplied with twin core flex regardless of being made of metal. Even on lamps which cost hundreds of dollars.

Thanks Flameport,

I'm sure you are right, when you say no such item exists.

However I think we should leave this one open as these devices exist for 110V and it's not beyond the comprehension of a power electronics engineer to produce one that is compliant and which works at 240V.

Lets just see if any one comes back as I'd like to find out if things have moved on since the last post.

You don't mind if I open the question out to someone who may be of different opinion ?

If anyone knows of a 240v kit similar to this (pref available in the UK)
www.touchandglow.com/product-p/diy-l2.htm
I'd be interested to know.

Thanks

K ez

Hi Riveralt

Thank you.

I saw that one earlier today on ebay and unless i'm mistaken it is for 110V.

Thank you,

K ez

...I'm sure you are right, when you say no such item exists.

However I think we should leave this one open as these devices exist for 110V...

It's not that such devices exist for 110V versus 240V but that they exist in markets that have a different approach to electrical safety generally, and earthing in particular, compared to the UK. As flameport stated.

You've asked the same question several times in this thread, and people try to divert you, yet you keep asking the same question. You should consider the scenario that these people may be correct in warning you away from this idea.

One thought - you could consider a touch sensitive switch rather than lamp. Something like this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/touch-dimmer-light-switch

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back