Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone, hope yo are all okay. After a few googles I'm hoping a guru on here will easily spot what I'm doing wrong with the light switch I've just changed. I've done plenty of electrics in the past with no problem, but getting a bit rusty now clearly.

A lamp blew and zapped the dimmer, as it would not dimm or turn off. It's a touch switch from China. It's got bluetooth and it interferes with another dimmer of the same type on the same circuit (not same lights, but same ground floor lighting circuit) so when it blew I switched it for a standard single. There's no other switch to operate the kitchen lights, its a single switch. So I have assumed the black is the N on the original circuit, and the red is the L.

The wires from the wall are 2 red (old live) and 2 black (old neutral). The old switch was a double gang with the red wired into the L1 and L2 and the blacks wired into the N1 and N2. All worked fine for a couple of years (apart from if you used the other dimmer at the same time). This is a spur from the kitchen light circuit, so there's no other switch on it.

The switch I have is a single gang so I connected both blacks into the "N common" terminal and a red into each L1 and L2. This was clearly wrong as the MCB won't close. I opened out the wires and put the multimeter on them, and I get a clean 240V on one of the red and 0-6V on the other three, which I guess is just induction. When I test the other red and the two blacks I get 215V, and the same between the two blacks, that's wierd.

Do I just get another double-gang switch and replace as the last one, or is there another problem. The lights this switch feeds are 12V under-counter through a mini-transformer, so I wondered if that had maybe shorted, so I put the meter on it and got 12 Ohm across the terminals - not sure if that's good or not. That would be 20A at 240V but it's solid state converter, so not sure if the same simple calculation applies.

Slightly worried I have an emerging electrical problem, but also aware I've just forgotten how the four wires join the lighting circuit.

Any comments welcome... thanks.

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of terminals on original " old switch" ,and the same on your new " standard single switch" ( on which you appear to have caused a direct short by connecting line to neutral)

Black and red does not mean live and neutral especially at a switch. You need to read up how switches work.

double pole to single pole.jpg

Sponsored Links
so connecting Com to earth is a direct short, @bernardgreen has shown how should be wired.
The OP has actually connected both blacks ( not earths) to what he wrongly has called the "N common" terminal.

Just as much of a short circuit though.

The switch was installed as a DP, perhaps replacing it with another DP switch would be he best advice.

The OP has actually connected both blacks ( not earths) to what he wrongly has called the "N common" terminal.

Just as much of a short circuit though.

The switch was installed as a DP, perhaps replacing it with another DP switch would be he best advice.
I interpreted that as 'N loop' which is why I didn't question it.

1663619472562.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and sorry for taking so long to come back on - several late nights at work!

At the moment I have just terminated the wires into a push-block so the lights are working fine.

I think Taylortwocities probably hit the nail on the head. I might have mixed up double-gang with double-pole, so let me sort that. The original switch which I put in and worked fine was a double-pole straight on/off/dim. As I said, this is a spur with only one switch so there's never been any double pole in there.

I've bought a double-pole switch and will put that in tomorrow if I'm home in time. I'll just replicate the previous and wire the two blacks into the two "N" terminals and the two reds into the two "L" terminals. I'll take some pics tomorrow of the original switch and post, but it has four terminals which appear to be distinct - none are joined together, two black and two red, all separate.

I have to admit I clearly caused a short by connecting the two blacks to the same COM terminal, but can someone elaborate on why both blacks are not Neutrals and both reds not Lives given this is a single lighting circuit with a black and a red to every other light on the circuit?

Thanks again all, reallt appreciate your replies, Jock.

bernardgreen

Thanks also - this makes sense. Connecting the blacks to the "Com" would clearly cause a short.
Now realising I've been a complete tool. Happens as you get older I think.

I think your confused on terminology. A double pole switch connects live to live ,and seperately connects neutral to neutral.
A " conventional " one way light switch connects live to live. If you connect a neutral to one of its terminals you would be connecting live to neutral and create a dead short !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back