Touch latches with butt hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Subject sounds like the start of some terrible '70s joke.

But anyway ... just wondering ... want to build cabinet doors with no handles that use touch latches to open (eg. you push the door in 2-3mm and then the door springs out). And I'd like to use butt hinges for these, as it is in a room which I don't want to become too 'kitcheny' with those big metal 'concealed' hinges ... but what would be the best way of doing this?

Think I will need to set the butt hinge off at a slight angle, so as to allow the door to be able to push in that little bit ... is this easily done do you think? Are there any particular butt hinges that allow a little travel beyond 90 degrees?

Am fairly proficient now with the old woodwork, but was hoping there might be a quick hint from one you kind people ... thanks!

Sponsored Links
Should be enough play with hinge to operate touch latch, the lay on hinge might be a good choice.

Sorry ... what do you mean by lay on hinge? Was hoping to use the old-school bog-standard butt hinge .. ie. all you see from the outside of the cabinet are two barrels top and bottom of the door ...

Google Screwfix, type in butterfly hinge I think that isvcwhat Foxhole is referring to as aan alternative, but a butt hinge will work and work even better if you put a leading edge on hinge side and closing edge

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back