Swing and push cupboard doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, my first post here. I've commissioned several household renovations/refurbishments in my time, but of course on each occasion the problems are different and each time it has been rewarding to bring my own (painfully learnt) previous experience to bear on the project.

This time I'd like to create an "invisible" kitchen, for a small London flat where it has to be part of the front room. The hob clearly has to remain open for safety reasons, and the built-under oven will be visible. But all other appliances will be integrated with doors covering them.

And - here's the crunch bit - I want the rest of it, including sink and tap, to disappear behind a three-quarter height pair of cabinet doors as well. Or to put it another way, a 1200mm run of worktop could do with being concealed.

Now, I thought there were top-hung hinging/tracking systems that would allow the double doors to open at 90 degrees towards me from the centre in the normal way - but which could then be pushed back at that same edge-on angle, towards the rear wall.

Result: the doors sit recessed in their own space rather than flap out into the room beyond the front edge of the worktop.

Do they exist? If so, what are they called?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Thanks ColJack, a good lead there.

Am still finding it a bit difficult to picture from the various diagrams on the links how they're fixed to wall or ceiling. And am wondering how important the min and max height is: the doors will each be 1244h x 600w.

they're not fixed to the ceiling, they're fixed to the side of the cabinet.. or the wall..

if you want floor to ceiling doors then my first guess was right.. you want bi-fold door tracks.. you just put one door on and mount it the wrong way..

Sponsored Links
Am feeling increasingly stupid here! If the tracking is fixed to the sides of the surrounding cabinet, rather than from above, can the doors themselves still have the mountings on the inside and push back within the cabinet rather than wrap around it?

argh..
the regular cupboard hinges fix to the doors, then to those brackets..

they swing open to 90 degrees, then slide into the cupboard.. they don't "wrap around" the sides..

View media item 16084

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back