How to break into a door with a Push Button Lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my rooms has this push button lock

Tried to open the door and it wont open.

When the combination is pressed, the pins do not spring back. The pins have no feel/spring.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to try and how to get the door open.

Attachments

• push button lock.jpg
    push button lock.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Might someone have pressed all the buttons in? Press C to cancel all the latched buttons, and start again with the correct unlock code.

I have similar look for my back gate. If someone has used the wrong code, the buttons cannot be pressed until the cancel button has been hit.

Sponsored Links
Might someone have pressed all the buttons in? Press C to cancel all the latched buttons, and start again with the correct unlock code.
Yes, I have pressed the C button several times, however the pins in the latched buttons do not reset. It is as if the spring within the mechanism has shifted and they have no feel.

I am hoping that there is a solution, because I want to avoid going down the grinder route.

It feels like the C button is not engaging the spring underneath to free the other pins

So when you press the C buttons, there is no resistance when there should be.

Got the door open.

For anyone with a similar issue, my advice would be to strike the top of the lock and the buttons with a hammer/ rubber malet etc

This frees the pins underneath.

Also, my advice would be to avoid mechanical pin locks like this.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Some additional advice, make sure you maintain your mechanical locks and lubricate them properly.

Those combination locks have worked for years without problem but when they go dry they can be problematic.

The above video is great advise for opening them, glad the whack with a hammer method also worked.

Some additional advice, make sure you maintain your mechanical locks and lubricate them properly.

Those combination locks have worked for years without problem but when they go dry they can be problematic.

The above video is great advise for opening them, glad the whack with a hammer method also worked.

The manufacturers, suggest they are not suitable for outdoor use, but many (including myself) do use them successfully, in very exposed locations.

I once got to a training centre where I was the trainer (so first in) with one of these on an internal door and the lock would not open.
I was part way through stripping the door so I could remove the window in it to get to the inside then when I tried again the damn thing worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back