Door Closing Problem

I've taken all the measurments on the door; top right to bottom left, top left to bottom right, across the top and bottom and, down the left and right sides and, theyre all out by half a centimetre so, looks like the door isnt square.

Not sure if i should just live with it how it is as i'm concernded i could bodge it and end up with a ruined door if I try to plane it.

Sponsored Links
Pack the hinge back to its correct position.
Check the door to the frame hinge side so there is approx 2-3 mm gap top to bottom.
Then close door and with a pencil mark the face (Closing face to frame at lock side with a pencil.
Plane down to that and take 2mm more off.

Job done.

Not sure if i should just live with it how it is as i'm concernded i could bodge it and end up with a ruined door if I try to plane it.
No need to live with it, it's a lack of understanding what to do next ;)

It is a pain this way but try and take off the door stop carefully without damaging the paint, might have to use a stanley blade for clean edge, start prising it with a wide chisel near the nails, you will see a clearer picture of what is happening, door edge might need more tapering etc

Might help you here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTN1bwcas-M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXVqoMSHyWk

OK, thanks for all the advice everyone. I shall ponder it over the weekend and no doubt, if I have any more problems i'll be back.

Ta

Sponsored Links
I see this mentioned all the time and I have never had to "taper" a door.

That includes 8" x 4" Solid core doors.

I see this mentioned all the time and I have never had to "taper" a door.
Depends what size gap around the door you want, ;) a smaller gap will hit the frame if it's not slightly tapered specially on the hinges side which will be more trouble free which overcome twisted door lining and in high humidity rooms you're always shaving a bit more off!

Used to use a rizla packet top as a measure for the gap ( not with it full and sideways :rolleyes: ), never needed it tapered.

A thick as that! 2p coin in my days which is 2mm, having says all this, there's no right or wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back