UPVC composite door not closing properly - latch hitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our UPVC composite front door does not close properly. It has a Yale Keyfree Lock. If you push the door to close it, the latch hits the strike plate and does not go into the box. I've tried adjusting the allen screws on the strike plate, and can resolve the problem for a short period using this method (so that the door closes easily and smoothly), but the problem always returns in a couple of days.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for resolving this sort of problem? There are pictures of the door here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fKxjeL5Zdh6vkTBu7

Sponsored Links
My parents front door has a tendency to pop out of the jeep when pushed close which then involves lifting the handle to engage the latch and keep it in position.

May be different on your door but the hinges that attached to the door have three screws into the side of the door. I found they had worked slightly loose and was able to tighten them up which helped.
May be worth a look

My parents front door has a tendency to pop out of the jeep when pushed close which then involves lifting the handle to engage the latch and keep it in position.

May be different on your door but the hinges that attached to the door have three screws into the side of the door. I found they had worked slightly loose and was able to tighten them up which helped.
May be worth a look
Yes the hinges on our door have needed adjusting recently but the door is now level in the frame (at least it looks level), but it is still not closing properly :0(

It isn’t then adjustment screws it is the hinge mounting screws. Their door was also level but having tried the usual methods I tried the mounting screws and it must have pulled the door slightly which made the difference. I have attached an image which shows the mounting holes where the screws locate. As I say may not be the same but worth checking

Attachments

• 85A471F2-B65D-44C8-A072-3B02FEDE6C1A.png
    85A471F2-B65D-44C8-A072-3B02FEDE6C1A.png
    750.1 KB · Views: 426
Sponsored Links
It isn’t then adjustment screws it is the hinge mounting screws. Their door was also level but having tried the usual methods I tried the mounting screws and it must have pulled the door slightly which made the difference. I have attached an image which shows the mounting holes where the screws locate. As I say may not be the same but worth checking
I've had a look at the hinge - photo here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f2md3GsSAUkrETUr9

The allen screws accessible from the side allow me to adjust the alignment of the door when I loosen them. I have pulled the door up as hard as I can and tightened these screw, but the latch still doesn't go smoothly into the receiver. The bolt accessible from the top of the hinge doesn't seem to offer any adjustment - I can't budge it in either direction.

Those hinges require a couple of tools to adjust correctly, Firstly the allen key to releases the hinge , then a second tool ( bit like a long socket ) to go in the top of the hinge to actually twist the hinge round , then as you twist it you can retighten the allen key. it is also possible to do it with a wedge under the door sash to hold the weight of the door. When you open the door and look at the hinge there are some crosshead screws in the centre , there are also three lines. If you undo the centre screws ( do NOT remove them lol )then you can physically push the hinge side of the door in. There should be adjustment on the ' latch plate ' using small allen keys. If this still doesn't work mark the latch on the door sash and close the door, as you do check the latch is actually lining up with the keep . if it is too low and the door is all level and square but too low , then you can undo all three hinges , on the allen key adjustment , and you can lift the whole door on the hinges, just make sure you use ' packers ' ( or an assistant ) , as it can be awkward to then retighten all three hinges

I've just returned to this problem...so I've adjusted the hinges on the door at it looks straight - even spaces all around it. In order for it to close properly I needed to adjust the latch plate using an allen key - if I turn the top two keys anti-clockwise (to move the plate to the left) the door closes perfectly. The problem is that it only last until the door has been opened closed a couple of times - then plate then shifts back to the left and the door won't close properly. The plate is quite loose, basically, so every time the door is closed the latch makes contact with it and forces it back to its original position. I don't see any way of tightening it.
Can anyone advise on how I can permanently shift the plate to the right?
This is how the latch plate looks:
https://imgur.com/Ymnbi7e

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back