Touch voltage

Thank you very much. I posted it last night, but it was waiting for moderation. I presume they like to check it when an image is attached?
Fair enough - but, no, it's not as simple as that. This forum software seems to have a mind of its own and sometimes intercepts 'for moderation' messages which are short, totally innocuous and with no images, special symbols or anything else 'of interest' ... so just one of life's little mysteries!
Im reading through your post now. Thanks again
OK. I dare say that I wasn't as clear as I could have been, so feel very free to ask for clarifications, further explanations etc.!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks again.
Not sure what you mean that the drawing is the wrong way round.
The values given were for the conductor sizes for the CPC and Line?

I was trying to simplify the resistance paths Ze 0.20Ω, R1 0.34Ω R2, 0.56Ω.

For a start, I'm not sure where your starting figures come from. The maximum Zs for a B32 is 1.37Ω and, per BS7671, 1.5mm² cable is 14.5 mΩ/m (at 70°) and 2.5mm² cable is 9 mΩ/m (at 70°). However, that doesn't alter the concept of your calculations.
This is from the onsite guide

You have also confused things considerably by drawing R1 and R2 'the wrong way around' - in terms of standard convention, R2 should be the resistance of the CPC - the one which joins to Ze (at the MET), but you have called it R1 in your drawing.

Not sure what you mean here.

The R2 ids the resistance of the CPC and the R1 is the resistance of the Line
More importantly, your Image 1 does not represent the actual situation, since the entire current loop includes the impedance of the supply L as well as Ze - and the voltage driving current around that loop will be the voltage at the transformer, usually more than 230V.

I included the Ze which I called Re. I was trying to simplify the resistance paths Ze 0.20Ω, R1 0.34Ω R2, 0.56Ω.

This is from the onsite guide
That explains everything :) Mind you, whilst the resistivities may be due to them quoting them at a different temperature, I can't imagine where a max Zs of 1.1Ω for a B32 came from - are you sure that's what the OSG says?
Thanks again. Not sure what you mean that the drawing is the wrong way round.
The values given were for the conductor sizes for the CPC and Line? I was trying to simplify the resistance paths Ze 0.20Ω, R1 0.34Ω R2, 0.56Ω. .... The R2 ids the resistance of the CPC and the R1 is the resistance of the Line
That is, indeed, the convention, and the point I was making was that, the way you drew/labelled it, it was the Line (R1) that was connected to the incoming earth (hence Re), not the CPC. Other than the confusion it caused me (and possibly others), it doesn't matter.

As I said, for working out 'touch voltages' within the installation/premises one is not concerned with what goes out 'outside' (i.e. Re). Apart from anything else, we don't know the voltage at the transformer - we only know (are assuming) that it is ('nominally') 230V at the origin of the installation.

Does this diagram help at all? ...

upload_2020-2-12_15-5-8.png

Kind Regards, John

I would think the OSG is quoting the resistance at 70° which is unlikely when measuring the value.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what any publication states, the max Zs @ 20° is 230/160 x 95%(Cmin) = 1.37Ω.

1.37 x 0.8(for 70°) = 1.1Ω (1.096).

Isn't Studentspark's confusion because he is just thinking of touching a live exposed-c-p (at whatever voltage it is) while earthed?

Rather than touching two exposed-c-ps on what is effectively the same live conductor while not earthed where only the volt drop between the two is being considered.

Sponsored Links
I would think the OSG is quoting the resistance at 70° which is unlikely when measuring the value.
The BS7671 figures say that they relate to a conductor temp of 70°.
Anyway, it doesn't matter what any publication states, the max Zs @ 20° is 230/160 x 95%(Cmin) = 1.37Ω.
Quite so.
1.37 x 0.8(for 70°) = 1.1Ω (1.096).
What are you suggesting - that in order to be below the max Zs at 70°, one has to measure below 1.1Ω at ambient temp? If so, I bet that not many electricians have thought of that one!
Isn't Studentspark's confusion because he is just thinking of touching a live exposed-c-p (at whatever voltage it is) while earthed? ... Rather than touching two exposed-c-ps on what is effectively the same live conductor while not earthed where only the volt drop between the two is being considered.
I'm not sure. I'm having some difficulty in working out what his difficulty is. However, I'm not sure that you're right. Touching two exposed-c-ps, one of which is 'live' (because of a fault), and both of which have different CPC paths back to the MET is no different from "touching a live exposed-c-p while earthed", is it?

Kind Regards, John

I got it the wrong way round.

The BS7671 figures say that they relate to a conductor temp of 70°.
Yes, I think you are correct. Sorry.

What are you suggesting - that in order to be below the max Zs at 70°, one has to measure below 1.1Ω at ambient temp? If so, I bet that not many electricians have thought of that one!
Isn't that what you are saying - if 1.37 in BS7671 is at 70°.
If that were the case then measuring at ambient temperature would result in 1.37x0.8 = 1.1Ω.

I'm not sure. I'm having some difficulty in working out what his difficulty is. However, I'm not sure that you're right. Touching two exposed-c-ps, one of which is 'live' (because of a fault), and both of which have different CPC paths back to the MET is no different from "touching a live exposed-c-p while earthed", is it?
If that is the case then what is the point of supplementary bonding?

I got it the wrong way round. ... Yes, I think you are correct. Sorry.
I'm glad you agree.
Isn't that what you are saying - if 1.37 in BS7671 is at 70°. If that were the case then measuring at ambient temperature would result in 1.37x0.8 = 1.1Ω.
Exactly - or, to put it the other way around, if one measures more than 1.1Ω at ambient temp (which I presume is how measurements are usually done), the Zs at 70° (or, indeed, any temp above ambient) would be non-compliant - and, as I said, I bet that few, if any, electricians think that way!
If that is the case then what is the point of supplementary bonding?
I would say that it is obvious that such IS the case, but I don't really understand your question, since SB specifically seeks to address that issue. If there are two simultaneously touchable exposed-c-ps which have separate/different CPC paths back to the MET (i.e. 'different circuits') then, if one of those exposed-c-ps becomes 'live' due to a fault, that exposed-c-p will be at a potential (above MET potential) somewhat more that half of the supply voltage, whereas the other exposed-c-p will still be at/about MET potential - hence the potentially dangerous 'touch voltage' (pd) between them. If one applies SB which locally joins those two exposed-c-ps, they will then be at essentially the same potential (albeit much higher than MET potential), hence 'touch voltage' (pod between the two exposed-c-ps) will be close to zero.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you guy so much for you help and patience on this

So just to put some numbers in

----------- = 0.62 0.62 x 230 = 143v
0.34+ 0.56

So a voltage of 143 volts will appear on the faulty metal part.(If measured between the neutral in the CU and the faulty metal work)
And since all that metal work is effectively connected together. 143v will also appear on the exposed and extraneous CPs. Give or take a bit for the resistance of the ECPs

So between the fault and a conductive part they will be 0 (ish) volts potential

The protective device operates and clears the fault.

I understand the principle of protective bonding - keeping everything at an equal voltage, be that all at 0v or all at 100v
If they are the same, current can't flow, as no potential difference.

So the resistance between the fault (an exposed CP) and and Extraneous CP has fo fulfil R< 50v/Ia

So if it was a 6 amp circuit 50/30 = 1.66Ω

So as long as The resistance measured between the two parts is < 1.66 Ω. So if testing, this would confirm that the Protective bonding in place is acceptable, and supplementary bonding is not required.

I think i was confused about limiting the voltage.
We are not limiting the voltage, we are limiting the potential difference.

Last edited:
I think i was confused about limiting the voltage.
Yes the voltage wrt earth at the exposed-c-p.

We are not limiting the voltage, we are limiting the potential difference.
We are not limiting that voltage, but

the pd (volt drop - not my best subject) between two touchable parts which is determined by the current and resistance.

Hence, for 6A MCB, 30A x 1.66Ω = 49.8V, which is obvious because 1.66 is determined by 50 / 30.

For 32A MCB, 160 x 0.31Ω = 50V.

Thank you guy so much for you help and patience on this ... So just to put some numbers in
----------- = 0.62 0.62 x 230 = 143v
0.34+ 0.56
So a voltage of 143 volts will appear on the faulty metal part.(If measured between the neutral in the CU and the faulty metal work)
Yep - well 143V between the faulty metal work and the MET. With TN installations that will be much the same as between the metalwork and neutral, but with TT, under these fault conditions, the MET will be at a much higher potential than the neutral (so the metalwork-neutral pd would be appreciably less).
And since all that metal work is effectively connected together. 143v will also appear on the exposed and extraneous CPs. Give or take a bit for the resistance of the ECPs
I'm not sure what you mean by 'all that metalwork', but I suspect the answer is 'No'! Any exposed- or extraneous-c-ps connected (via different CPCs, or by bonding conductors) to the MET will still be at approximately MET potential, whereas the faulty exposed-c-p (and anything connected to that metalwork via that circuit's CPC) will be about 143V above the MET potential.
So between the fault and a conductive part they will be 0 (ish) volts potential
See above - what you say is ONLY true of other exposed-c-ps on the same circuit (i.e. same CPC back to MET). The potential between the faulty part and any other MET-connected part (not on the same circuit) will be 143V, not 0V-ish.
I understand the principle of protective bonding - keeping everything at an equal voltage, be that all at 0v or all at 100v ... If they are the same, current can't flow, as no potential difference.
Yep, if they are at the same potential (measured relative to anywhere), then no current can flow between them.
So the resistance between the fault (an exposed CP) and and Extraneous CP has fo fulfil R< 50v/Ia ... So if it was a 6 amp circuit 50/30 = 1.66Ω. So as long as The resistance measured between the two parts is < 1.66 Ω. So if testing, this would confirm that the Protective bonding in place is acceptable, and supplementary bonding is not required.
That's more-or-less what the regs say, but it gets complicated and I need to think about how best to try to explain the situation. One problem is that if, say, the Zs at the circuit is already at the maximum for ADS, then any additional resistance in the fault path will prevent the device tripping magnetically.
I think i was confused about limiting the voltage. We are not limiting the voltage, we are limiting the potential difference.
Maybe. 'Voltage', per se, is a meaningless concept, since it has to be voltage 'relative to something' (i.e. a potential difference between the two things).

Kind Regards, John

So the resistance between the fault (an exposed CP) and and Extraneous CP has fo fulfil R< 50v/Ia .... So if it was a 6 amp circuit 50/30 = 1.66Ω .... So as long as The resistance measured between the two parts is < 1.66 Ω. So if testing, this would confirm that the Protective bonding in place is acceptable, and supplementary bonding is not required.
That's more-or-less what the regs say, but it gets complicated and I need to think about how best to try to explain the situation. One problem is that if, say, the Zs at the circuit is already at the maximum for ADS, then any additional resistance in the fault path will prevent the device tripping magnetically.
Having pondered a little, I think it's pretty easy to explain the thinking behind the 'test' ("50/Ia") in the regs ....

... given how the MCB (or whatever) works, it's impossible for a current of more than Ia to flow (to anywhere) in that circuit for more than a few milliseconds, since it would magnetically trip at a current higher than Ia.

Hence, the most that could possibly flow (from that MCB) through any path between any two parts will be Ia. If the resistance between two parts is (in your example) no more than 1.66Ω then, with Ia=30A (for a B6 MCB), the maximum possible voltage that could ever exist across that path (i.e. between the two parts) would be 1.66 x 30 = 50V (Ohm's Law - volts = amps x ohms). In practice, the maximum possible could well be appreciably less than 50V, if the resistance between the two parts was 'appreciable' (but less than 1.66Ω in your example).

I don't think I will bother to even discuss the potentially complicating/confusing factor, since that would probably confuse you even further, and it's not really relevant to this discussion!

Kind Regards, John

Ah. I knew I wasn't wrong - at least, not totally.

The max.Zs values given in BS7671 are not for 70°.
They are the maximum value that will ensure the satisfactory operation of the OPD at any temperature at which the circuit conductors might be.
The max.Zs is still the max.Zs.

Obviously, if one knows the circuit conductors will be at 70° during normal working and one is measuring at an ambient 20°, then the 80% correction factor will have to be applied to one's measured Zs value to achieve the desired result - but the max.Zs value is still the max.Zs value.
However, for example, for a modern lighting circuit (or the modern fashion for grossly oversized conductors) which will never rise much above ambient temperature, this need not be done, the max.Zs stated is therefore still the max.Zs value.

The OSG in using 1.1Ω for B32A MCB is, as usual it would seem, quoting for the worst case scenario - except it might not be the worst case if one is working at other than the assumed ambient temperature.

To be pedantic the correction factor should be 83.33%, not 80.
With all the rounded up or down figures and unlikely coincidences, it's all pretty rough anyway.

Ah. I knew I wasn't wrong - at least, not totally. ... The max.Zs values given in BS7671 are not for 70°. ... They are the maximum value that will ensure the satisfactory operation of the OPD at any temperature at which the circuit conductors might be. ... The max.Zs is still the max.Zs.
Indeed, the max Zs is the max Zs.

However, I'm sure you will understand my point - that if one measures Zs at a temperature which is far less than the temperature 'at which the conductors might be' in service, one might get a reading far less than than it would (sometimes) be 'at operating temp'. If the reading one gets (and is 'satisfied with') at ambient temp is quite close to the (BS7671) 'maximum', then it's quite likely that the circuit would, at least sometimes, become 'non-compliant' during service.

As you go on to say, this is unlikley to ever be an issue with lighting circuits but in the case of most others (sockets, immersions, cookers, showers etc.), I would imagine that electricians are measuring Zs at temps which are appreciably, maybe even considerably, lower than the temps that the conductos will, at least sometimes, achieve in service. Hence, if they are content with a Zs which is close to the (BS761) 'maximum' at ambient temp, theyt are very probably giving their blessing to a circuit which will, at least sometimes, become 'non-compliant' in service.

The OSG in using 1.1Ω for B32A MCB is, as usual it would seem, quoting for the worst case scenario ...
For once, I'm inclined to sympathise with the OSG's approach - and, as I've written several times today, I doubt that many electricians have even thought about this. Given that we feel that it is important to have 'effective ADS', and given that we cannot predict when faults might arise, it would seem that (lighting circuits aside) one really ought to look for Zs figures at ambient temp which give reassurance that it will still be below 'the max' (which, as you say, IS 'the max') under in-service operating conditions which are far from impossible.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I think that is what I said.

My point is that the max.Zs does not alter with temperature. It is the same whatever the temperature; it does vary with voltage.
It is the measured reading that has to be modified to compensate for the conditions.

1.1Ω is not the max.Zs for B32A MCBS; it is 1.37Ω - at 218.5V.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back