Touching up woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. We bought and did up an old house 2 years ago and had the place redecorated at the end of a lot of internal works. The decorating was completed about 15 months ago. Prior to us moving in the house was unoccupied for quite a period of time and required substantial damp treatment.

Obviously an empty, unheated house means a damp and cold house. Unfortunately I have noticed that a fair bit of paintwork on the doors has started to crack and would easily be chipped off. They are traditional victorian panel doors and in the joints around the panels the paint is coming away after I assume the doors drying out and shrinking. The paintwork in other areas of the house including the majority of the sash windows is ok it is mainly the doors. Do I need to sand and down the entirety of the door or strip off the area affected and how best to prep. Some of the cracks seem to go down to the bare hardwood.

If anyone can provide advice I would appreciate it. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately Sam you have to rub the doors down and remove any flaking paint. Prime any areas showing bare timber and then fill slightly proud, you should then be able to rub down flush with the remaining paint

Filler wise you could use a two pack wood filler which adheres well or you can fill with something like toupret redlite. Then apply as many coats as necessary for a good finish. Sikkens kodrin spachtel is also an excellent filler for this application but its expensive.

If its only small areas on the doors then go for what dcdec has advised, if it is really bad say half the door then you may be better off stripping it, me personally I would strip them regardless mainly because I have the tools for the job already and wouldn't have to pay anyone, I also like seeing things in an original form I'm a bit weird like that :p

Had all of our original 1930's doors stripped back to bare wood by a local company, cost us about 150 quid for 7 doors to be done and that included pick up and delivery!! all of the old paint and brown varnish has completely gone from the doors saving us endless hours of sanding and prepping!

Was recommended we leave all the doors to dry for 6 months before we re-treat them but once fully dry they look so good bare we are just going to leave them as they are and clear coat or wax them :)

Sponsored Links
Had all of our original 1930's doors stripped back to bare wood by a local company, cost us about 150 quid for 7 doors to be done and that included pick up and delivery!! all of the old paint and brown varnish has completely gone from the doors saving us endless hours of sanding and prepping!

Was recommended we leave all the doors to dry for 6 months before we re-treat them but once fully dry they look so good bare we are just going to leave them as they are and clear coat or wax them :)
go for a clear Matt varnish, gives a lovely finish and is more durable than the wax

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back