Cracking hardwood door sill

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a couple of hardwood doors and frames on the West side of my house, it is a coastal area and they catch the afternoon sun.

They were fitted about 8 years ago, before fitting I treated doors and frames with plenty of Cuprinol, and several coats of Dulux ?Woodsheen? translucent stain and I have treated them a couple of times since. This may have been a bit optimistic for such an exposed position, I use the same system on my similar front door which is sheltered by an open porch and it has lasted well.

The finish on the door sills lasts particularly badly. Being an idle slug I do not re-treat it often enough, it erodes and the wood develops small cracks along the grain while the frames and doors are still fairly glossy. I do not know what the timber is; the frames and doors are in a common mahogany substitute, very pale, slightly pink when cut. The sills are in a heavier timber, orange-brown in colour, and darker. Appears typical for these hardwood frames.

It seems to me that if I sand it down thoroughly every couple of years to smooth timber and recoat, I will in time sand away the whole sill.

Is there another finish that would last better? If necessary I would move to a gloss paint system, although as the doors are part glazed and panelled (Alicante) it would be a real drag to sand them back to clean wood.

Incidentally, I have some softwood shiplap cladding adjacent to the doors, which I treat with a water based "shed and fence" stain, I find this very quick and easy to do, and would not mind finding a treatment I could use on both cladding and doors to match colour and treatment.

Sponsored Links
Try Dulux Trade Exterior Weathershield Opaque aquatech Woodstain in the colour Spanish Brown.

As gcol says.
sadolin is ok. most woodstains will degrade in time especially on door sills

where foot traffic scuffs. and sun. I recently stripped some door cills (nitromors) filled shakes/cracks with coloured woodfiller (this one happend to be sikkens has had a tin) and used sadolin SUPERCOAT it lasts a bit longer an seems tougher. though its not reccomended for flooring/decking. Also it takes at least 6 hrs to touch dry sooo.....

Definately would not paint in a gloss system, as once painted = more maintenance. When old and woodstain seems a waste of time and painting is the only solution then we use sadolin superdec, a waterbased (bit like masonry paint lol) paint which is opaque and drys to a pleasant satin finish. But!! dont apply in direct sunlight.........
goodluck

John

Sponsored Links
oooh ello third eye you got in while i was composing lol

JohnD said:
Being an idle slug I do not re-treat it often enough, it erodes and the wood develops small cracks along the grain while the frames and doors are still fairly glossy.

You have answered this yourself :!:
It really wont make much difference what you treat it with unless you do it every year, (less than half an hour a year).

do it the old fashioned way :LOL: :LOL:
feed it with linseed oil every year ;)

confidentincompetent said:
oooh ello third eye you got in while i was composing lol
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE WHOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back