Touchup Paint Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a nightmare with touching up the walls in my new house.
When I moved in, I got some inevitable scuff marks.

I found out that the builders used the following paint:
Photo-27-01-2019-14-20-43.jpg

I have tried all of my local hardware stores and none did it, and you only seem able to get it in this huge tub online. I went to a really large Home Base, who also did not do it, but the chap said he knew just what I needed.
He suggested I bought one tin of Zinsser ZN7020001D1 Primer.
I went with his recommendation and started touching up, but the results are awful. The paint he suggested has a sheen to it, where as my walls do not. It now looks worse than before.

Homebase have said they will refund me for the tin of paint, and have offered to give me something else to try, but I think I will just go out and get a trade tub of the stuff above.
Can anyone tell me if I am going to need to sand these patches down now before I put the right stuff on?
Bl00dy nightmare!

Photo-23-03-2019-14-42-32-Copy.jpg

Photo-24-03-2019-09-28-56-Copy.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is never very successful just "Touching up" marks with paint even if you had the original paint you would notice a shade difference with the original paint coverage and the paint in the tin after a few weeks
Its best to paint the complete wall that has the marks, you may have been able to remove the marks originally using a damp cloth but its too late now you have applied paint

You can buy it in 5L tins for about £30

In the main, DIY sheds know eff all about the products that they sell.

I have never used that particular Crown paint. It is primarily designed for brand new plaster. It allows any residual moisture in the plaster to evaporate. The downside is that when it gets dirty, you can't wash the marks away.

As a professional decorator, I seldom use those types of paint. I want my finish to be durable. If the plaster is still wet, I tell the customer to wait until it has dried. If the client can't wait I will use them but warn them that they are dirt magnets.

Some decorators persist in using them over existing emulsion because they are pretty good at obliterating other colours. Seemingly, they are either unaware of the potential problems faced by the next decorator, or they don't care.

That said, as an extra low sheen matt paint, once you have the original paint, where you touch up shouldn't be too obvious.

You shouldn't need to sand the Zinsser that you used. Just paint over it. The Zinsser painted areas will take longer to dry than the surrounding areas but that isn't a biggie.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Min
Sponsored Links
You cant get away with touching up patches on walls they will always stick out like a sore thumb even if its the exact paint, I have been a Painter and Decorator for 33 years and would always recoat a marked or damaged wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back