Toughest bridge in the world

Sponsored Links
That makes me laugh!

Some of those drivers won't be pro's (in particular the Ryder Truck Hire vehicle may have been hired to a DIY house-mover), but I'm shocked so many made the classic error, especially as the sign and the warning lights are both bright yellow.... :rolleyes:

Having driven all sorts of commercials up to 7.5 tonne, I am always aware of my vehicle's dimensions.

In Nottingham once, I had to stop to check the height exactly with a tape measure. It was a LWB Hi-roof Transit but with telescopic roof rack system on top.

It was OK height-wise, with a couple of inches to spare, but only just squeezed through width-wise...I could have folded the mirrors in, I suppose.

Sponsored Links
In the 80s i drove for Beck 7 Politzer, we usually had 15ft 6in tautliners, one driver Bristol born and bred had a laps of concetration on his way to the then British Moulded Fibres in Bitton, the bridge was 14ft 8ins, it ripped the fifth wheel off and bent the trailer.

In the 80s i drove for Beck 7 Politzer, we usually had 15ft 6in tautliners, one driver Bristol born and bred had a laps of concetration on his way to the then British Moulded Fibres in Bitton, the bridge was 14ft 8ins, it ripped the fifth wheel off and bent the trailer.

This wouldn't be the bridge on the A431 between Willsbridge and Bitton would it? The one at the old Bitton station?

Several years ago I worked at Ludlow castle putting up oak barriers and rails. It was all loaded onto a flatbed transit that just fitted through the gateway of the inner keep. We unloaded it and then found that as the suspension wasn't under load the vehical wouldn't fit through the gateway , I ended up taking theladder bars off to give us room to get out again :oops:

Or let the tyres down. :LOL:

Hmm, I suppose thinking about it now I could have taken the outside tyres off the back (twin wheel jobby ), deflated the inner tyres and drove out then put the inflated wheels back on and drove away
or
loaded it up again drove out and handballed it all back in
oh so many options :D

Sponsored Links
Back