Towel heater - how to isolate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My towel heater is old and has developed a little rust hole that is now leaking. Until I replace it I want to isolate and drain it so I can still have the other radiators working. But it has no TRV, only a screw on both pipes which I assume isolate. But I started turning it and a little water came out so I left it and thought it best to check first. Picture attached. Anyone advise please? Thanks
upload_2020-12-12_7-35-49.jpeg

Sponsored Links
you turn it exactly 90 degrees so the slot is at right angles to the pipe (do not need to rotate it more)

that type of valve is often poor quality and will leak at whim, in which case you had better replace it. The Pegler valve is higher quality.

BTW chromed steel is very prone to rust. A painted towel rail will last better, or a stainless one, or (at greater cost) chromed brass is the best.

Those valve should never be on a CH system, regardless, they are not rated for the heat and system chemicals that are found in a central heating system. I would recommend they are replaced for proper radiator valves (never use designer 1/4 turn valves either) ASAP.

To turn them off you turn the slot 90 deg to the valve body. Some valves will turn either way, some only turn one way. You may find it keeps leaking though.

Sponsored Links
developed a little rust hole that is now leaking
little? :confused: What type of system do you have? Agree with Madrab, they shouldn’t be used but you can turn quarter of the way to isolate, it if leaking will probably carry on. If you can’t replace the towel rail, depending how confident you are could change for a coupling and air vent, or stop end.

Thanks all. Isolated, leak stopped. Will sort new valves and towel heater

ps valves were inherited when I bought the house

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back