Towel Radiator Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a towel rail(silver ladder style) which until recently (about 1 week ago) was working fine. the full system is just under 2 yrs old and the towel rail was refitted following a new bathroom being fitted ( Nov 2006).

I have the following system:

Worcester Bosch 28i Junior with 7 stelrad Radiators with danfoss thermo valves and 1 towel rail.

The towel rail is totally cold all the way down when the rest of the system is hot. I have drained the full system and bled all the radiators and the rail but still no joy. When the rail was bled the water was dark grey in colour and there was a strong smell from it. the towel rail is the one that should be on all the time when heating is on.

I would be grateful for your suggestions on what could be the problem and how i can solve this issue.

Thanks Very Much! :?:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've got an air lock.

When you say 'was working fine until one week ago', what happened one week ago? Have you changed anything on the system?

It was noticed within the last week that the towel rail was cold - as far as I am aware nothing has happened to it.

Was thinking about getting a sludge remover - do you think this would help?

Thanks

I would try taking the radiatoir off the wall (close the valves at both ends first - remove the thermostatic valve head and put the manual cap on - or the valve will open when it gets cold!). Then with the CH system on, open one of the valves into a bucket. If the water coming out starts to get hot then you'be got rid of the air lock. Do the same with the other valve.

While you've got the rad off the wall, take it outside and runa hose through it to clear any sludge..

Replace rad. Should take you a few hours.....

Sponsored Links
KillingTime said:
...Replace rad. Should take you a few hours.....
And after you replace it, but before you open the valves, inject a dose of inhibitor into the vent plug hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back