Towel Radiator Valve Cap stuck?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I cannot seem to remove the cap on the valve in the picture. Is it definitely just pulling it off that should work?

The radiator doesn't warm up at all, so trying to see if it is the thermostatic valve that is closed, as when bleeding it no air came out.

I managed to unscrew the end part of the cap off, but this didn't seem to achieve anything.
20210208_183644.jpg
View attachment 222204
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210208_183704.jpg
    20210208_183704.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 644
Sponsored Links
Unscrewing and removing the end cap should allow the silver handle to pull off. That is not a thermostatic valve by the way.

when you take the end cap off there might be a screw in there holding the cap on but as has been said it is not a TRV

Unscrewing and removing the end cap should allow the silver handle to pull off. That is not a thermostatic valve by the way.

Thanks, it's just called a valve then?

It definitely doesn't just come off after removing the screw cap at the end, I've applied a fair amount of force to it too.
when you take the end cap off there might be a screw in there holding the cap on but as has been said it is not a TRV
The inside looks like the below;
20210208_174600.jpg
Should I be able to unscrew something further?

Sponsored Links
It just pulls off. Why do you want to take it off ? It should rotate ,to close or open the valve ?? Clockwise to close ,anti clockwise to open .

It just pulls off. Why do you want to take it off ? It should rotate ,to close or open the valve ?? Clockwise to close ,anti clockwise to open .

Ah crap just been googling lockshield valves - I was definitely trying to do the wrong thing.

Just trying to get the rad to warm up. The valve was able to rotate with the cap on tho, not sure if that's meant to happen

Yes it will turn with cap on or off ,it's just a decorative cover. Is the other valve the same ? Does water come out of the bleed valve ( I know you said no air comes out )

Yes it will turn with cap on or off ,it's just a decorative cover. Is the other valve the same ? Does water come out of the bleed valve ( I know you said no air comes out )

Yeah water came out. The other is similar but no decorative cap, and slightly smaller

No screw it just pulls off, but as said wont make any difference

Show us a pic. If both valves are fully opened ( anti clockwise) and the rad doesn't heat ,try turning off EVERY other rad ( only by its TRV do not touch their lockshields) This will concentrate the pumps efforts through the towel rad.

Show us a pic. If both valves are fully opened ( anti clockwise) and the rad doesn't heat ,try turning off EVERY other rad ( only by its TRV do not touch their lockshields) This will concentrate the pumps efforts through the towel rad.

The one I've shown is turned all the way anticlockwise , I can move the other one at all. I'll try turning the other rads off in the morning, but theyre all run of separate pipes (not sure if it makes a difference).

Below is the other valve
20210209_001903.jpg

That's probably the lockshield ,and you would need to pull off the knob to expose the spindle of the valve. If the rad worked in the past and that lockshield has not been closed ,it probably doesn't need to be touched.

turn all the other rads off and see if the towel rail now heats up

So just tried turning the other rads off, didn't seem to work sadly.

I don't know if it worked in the past, it's pretty old, they just moved in.

Can't move/take off the cap on the right hand side valve/lockshield at all.
20210209_102228.jpg

You need to make sure that right hand valve is open.
When you turned other rads off ,did either of the two pipes going to the towel rad get hot ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back