Towel Radiator Valve Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got this leak on one side, shut it off and then the other side started doing it!

Whats the likely cause? They are already as tight as i can get them

1000004916.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like it has a gland that needs re packing. It's a type of seal that stops water from leaking up the spindle. I would replace the valves ,but it's worth trying to re pack first.

Looks like it has a gland that needs re packing. It's a type of seal that stops water from leaking up the spindle. I would replace the valves ,but it's worth trying to re pack first.
I'd like to replace the valves to be sure but I assume there is a lot of work beforehand to ensure water isnt spraying all over the place whilst they are changed?

Hot water is from a cylinder in our home.

The water in your hot water cylinder has nothing to do with the water in your radiators / central heating system.
Before attempting to remove a radiator valve for replacement you would be wise to drain the heating systems water out.

Sponsored Links
The water in your hot water cylinder has nothing to do with the water in your radiators / central heating system.
Before attempting to remove a radiator valve for replacement you would be wise to drain the heating systems water out.
Ok, so boiler off, drain system, same as you would with a combi basically?

Is your heating system sealed / pressurised ,or fed from a small tank in the loft ( feed and expansion cistern, F&E ) ?

Before draining down close the water supply to the F&E. Then check its cleanliness. If needed clean out any crud / clean it. You don't want anything in there to get into the system during draining. Latch motorised valve/s to manually open position. Then drain out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back