Towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I aint got a clue about plumbing .But we have got a towel radiator on the cheap and want to put this in place of a very small radiator .

It actually looks connection wise as it will fit quite nice inside of the orig rad valves .

O.k the towel rad has STRAIGHT DOWN internal threads there not on the side like a conventional rad .

So the question is can i connect this with limited knowledge to the existing ordinary rad valves .Looking at it ,its obviously going to need a 90 degree connection or in other words an elbow .On one side of elbow its going to need a nut to connect to rad valves already in place .And on other its going to need threads only to connect into towel rad .

Question is and ive been to B&Q does this connection exist or is it call in the plumber time .

Alan

[GALLERY=media, 7065][/GALLERY]
[img] [GALLERY=media, 7064][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Afraid you are going to have to drain down and make up some new pipework to the towel radiator-this is what the rest of the world does in these situations.
To try and make a connection between the old valves and the new rad is theoretically possible but will look b****y awful and take thousands off the value of your house. So my advice would be don't do it.

O.k and dont shout !! There are reasons .

And reasons are this i have a plumber who is always to busy as a next door neighbour and seems to charge top dollar all though we have known each other years .
So if i can i prefer to do my own ,coz if i call in a plumber ( not him ) he will know and then be a tad off with me .But if i ask him i will be waiting ages .
Theres more even though i fix his PC's for next to nowt hoping this will rub off on his plumbing bills it doesnt seem to .

So please have a little patience for me trying to do this myself !!.

O.k o.k the problem

I have fitted the TR and its working fine used angled new rad valves and some compression fittings to make up new pipework .
Everything is fine except since fitting this it has knocked off 2 rads downstairs .Now i think and im not sure these 2 rads are on an offshoot to main rad supply .
I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING .

1.Draining system and bleeding radiators ( no sludge ) .
2.checking pump but other rads hot anyway
3.balancing rads and even turning them all off except for the 2 that are cold still no luck .

4. Ive taken 1 of the cold rads off and drained for sludge there was no sludge and while this rad was taken off i checked the rad valve supply and yup water pours forth out of them on both sides .Also please note when system was drained i checked if these 2 cold rads had drained and they had so no blockage .

5.Also yes one of the cold rads does have a TRV and the pin moves freely .

This really now is pi**ing me off as i dont want to call in my expensive friend gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrr.

One thing i have thought of and i know all you plumbers will laugh .When taking off the original rad for the TR there was plenty of play i could actually lift the pipework higher .And this is what i did because the TR valves sat higher on the wall .HAS THIS highered the pipework BELOW the floorboards so causing the supply to find an easier route .

But if this is the case why doesnt it get forced down there when all the rads are switched off .

And remember im not a plumber but a PC Technician .And not a spotty nerd at that lol .

Thanks

And Happy New Year to you all .

Sponsored Links
O.k resorted to plumber mate :( .

He solved in 2 seconds flat .

Went into garage turned off Hotwater on control panel so only CH running this applied more pressure from pump onto rads system .Was enough to flush out any air blockage .

Radiators suddenly workd again ,i cant believe how easy it was .

TOTAL EMBARRESSMENT OR WHAT !! .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back