Towel Rail FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit a towel rail with one of these: Amazon Link

In terms of the FCU, the room joins a hallway with no good location, or a study room next door which is connected (without door) to the living room. Is there any issue with putting the FCU in the study for aesthetics? You'd have to go looking for it, but it would be there, and outside the room (and on the other side of the stud wall to the radiator... Just wondering if regs mandate it has to be in the room outside directly.

Thanks, R

Sponsored Links
The regulations do not require an FCU or switch to be fitted at all - so you can put it anywhere you want.

However - you could put it next to the radiator if it - the FCU - is more than 600mm. from the edge of a bath/shower.

Not sure I agree with that
Me neither. The towel rail element would be connected to (I suppose) a ring final circuit. So a suitable fuse needs to be there. Also, a double pole isolation so the towel rail element can be isolated from the circuit when it fails - and they do.

@roboputt yes switched FCU. 5A fuse. The FCU can be in the study.
The circuit you are spurring from MUST be protected by a 30mA RCD. Is it?

Sponsored Links
How about putting a plug on it? An unswtched socket (from an RCD/RCBO protected supply, of course), 2.5m from the bath boundary should do! ;)

Then please show which regulation does require it.
The manufacturers instructions will specify a fused spur and the fuse rating and even if they don't (which they will if it's any kind of reputable brand), you would have to provide overload protection appropriate for the cable. A typical socket circuit mcb is providing no overload protection for a 0.75mm flex for instance

The manufacturers instructions will specify a fused spur and the fuse rating
You and others will note that I did not state the OP should not fit an FCU but simply that the regulations do not specify the locations of things they do not require.

The regulations do not require an FCU or switch to be fitted at all - so you can put it anywhere you want.

However - you could put it next to the radiator if it - the FCU - is more than 600mm. from the edge of a bath/shower

YOUR words "the regulations do not require an FCU or switch to be fitted AT ALL"

That is what I was disagreeing with

"The regulations do not require" is pretty much black and white

Which is, in most cases a completely incorrect statement

YOUR words "the regulations do not require an FCU or switch to be fitted AT ALL"

That is what I was disagreeing with

"The regulations do not require" is pretty much black and white
It is. Why do you disagree?

Which is, in most cases a completely incorrect statement
Then please show which regulation states that an FCU is compulsory.

I give up. You seem determined to demonstrate that you are correct, when in fact you are incorrect. So please tell me the reg number stating no fusing down is required

As I previously stated you are suggesting that no fusing down or switching is necessary on a 32A circuit for items such as , in this case, a towel rail. Which is daft to say the very least

Plus of course the purpose of the OCPD is protect the cable

As I previously stated you are suggesting that no fusing down or switching is necessary on a 32A circuit for items such as , in this case, a towel rail. Which is daft to say the very least
No, I said the regulations do not require an FCU (and therefore do not state where one must be fitted) and you disagree but will not tell me where they do say such a thing.

I remind you again I did not tell the OP not to fit one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back