Towel rail pipes in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've in the process of building a stud wall to seperate my ensuite from the main bedroom.
Onto this stud wall will be mounted a towel rail, my builders put a triple joist in where the stud wall is going, i've screwed the sole plate onto the top of this, i've also added extra noggins to take the towel rail.

My question now is running the pipes, I could run the pipes straight down from the towel rail and through the floor, but that would be quite ugly, i'd like to take the pipes straight into the wall, but for that to work, I think i'd have to run the pipes up the wall, into the loft, across to a wall on the other side where the radiator will go, and run them down vertically behind the plasterboard, this seems a bit messy, is there any alternative?

If I do have to run them in the loft etc.. would running them in 10mm hep2 be ok? i

Thanks

Sponsored Links
can you not run pipes into stud wall half dept then drill through center of sole plate & youre in floor void

I've missed something somewhere. Why can't you run the pipework into the wall and then down into the floor void?

Because the sole plate is sitting ontop of three joists, so i'd have to drill down through the joists, vertically, which I very much doubt you're allowed to do?

Sponsored Links
looked again at original posting just seen the mention of three joists was it three for price of one sorry for digressing you can still notch sole plate and set 15 pipe into notch in triple joist

Ah ok, might do that then, only downside is i've already fixed the sole plate etc... and floor boards etc.. are under it.
I think its standard practice for a double joist under a stud wall, not quite sure why i've got a triple tho, maybe the chippy had a bit of wood spare :LOL:

not sure why any additional joists where required, after all the partition wall is no heavier than an average person (and spread more than a person) and existing joists would cope just fine

Its a new extension, I have read about double joists before being used, but I agree, it does seem a bit OTT, wish i'd have put the wall the other side of them now :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back