Tower Thermostatic Radiator Valve replacement - options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

My house was built just in the late 90's and has Tower thermostatic valves installed.

Problems with the spindle leaking and in *most* cases the packing nut won't budge meaning its swap the valve time for a few now they have started to leak.

Is the same valve still available? I have not been able to track any down, and would prefer a straight swap with no changing the radiator tail nor the incomming pipework (to save having to extend/move anything at the pipe end). The pipework is 8mm microbore and you can imagine the potential extra hassle that a straight swap over would avoid.

Another question - is there a specific socket available for that packing nut? Its too shallow to get a normal socket on and any spanner just rounds it off with so little to grip on.

Many thanks in advance...

David

Attachments

• DJB_0304.JPG
    DJB_0304.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DJB_0305.JPG
    DJB_0305.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DJB_0306.JPG
    DJB_0306.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Does it have to be the same valve? I would personally go for these or similar decent valves, Tower brand is cheap for a reason.

Hi - thanks for the reply.

Given that the old valves are what looks like 1/2" bsp but have a 8mm to that thread adapter, I was hoping could find something to reuse the existing incomming pipe and not have to remove the 8mm end... as I fear I would end up with a yorkie straight and a new bit of pipe to run to the new valve.

The old Towers have done 23 years so no shame to them, and most are still in fine working order with no leaks.

If I could just have got the packing nut out, then I could have put a new oring in there.

I may see if I can but a 12mm (from memory) box spanner... that may have thin enough walls and no chamfer on the face to fit.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back