Unique Tower Thermostatic radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone please look at this pic of angled Tower thermostatic radiator valves inherited in my house and advise on best way to replace them?

They seem quite unique with the pipe connection as you can see a small unique nut at the bottom.

Is there a direct replacement available for such valves OR
Do I need to cut a section of copper pipe underneath and make another small extension to put the normal styles angular valves?

Thanks in advance.
d8je.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Sponsored Links
Unless you know the make of them it may be difficult to find a replacement head that fits. All you would do with them is drain down remove that nut, lift off valve and you'd be left with the normal pipe then just fit a standard replacement.

The old valve fitting is just an alternative to the standard nut and olive arrangement that the new one employs. Instead of the standard 'female' nut/olive interference fitting it uses an elongated 'male' interference fitting with a different type of olive.
It should look something like this when removed
http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/half-inch-fittings-for-pipe-p-599.html

Unless it's different and the copper has had it's end flared to fit the valve, though I am sure once you remove it, you will be left with the copper pipe tail as normal. Easy enough to check by removing. I take it it's standard 15mm copper pipe?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Madrab for detailed description.

You are right, it s a 15mm copper pipe. Your advice about this elongated male fitting also seems right.

My only fear is w.r.t OLIVE on my current elongated male nut. Like standard olives, DOES IT NOT STICK to the copper pipe, hence a cut of the copper pipe from underneath the olive would be required (leaving the copper tail short for direct replacement)?

It the old olive and nut come out easily, then replacing it with a normal female nut/ olive style valve should be a walk in the park!

Sorry if I am asking a silly question but I would have my fear cleared from experts like you before I drain and remove the valve.

No bother, most questions aren't silly. :)

The only real issue you would have is if the olive had been way overtightened compressing the copper pipe. Won't know that until removed unfortunately. If it is the same olive as in the link tho then they are much thicker than conventional ones and much harder to compress onto the pipe therefore should pull off quite easily with a pair of grips. The worst case is that you need to use a junior hacksaw to cut it almost all the way through and use a flat headed screwdriver to snap it. Cutting the pipe would be the very last option!
Unfortunately though, as mentioned previously, a lot of this is unknown until the valve is removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back