towing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so this car ive got to insure.. :)

I need to tow the car 6 miles, would a 1.2 clio pull another 1.2 clio
how long would i need a piece of rope and apart from keeping a foot near brake pedal would it be straight forward to tow cheers P M

Sponsored Links
I've seen a few abominable attempts at towing lately. The hill start was the highlight of them. :LOL:

Keeping the tension in the rope is important.

I've never towed, but it can easily turn into a farce if you dont keep the tension (first car goes, then rope goes tight and the whole lot jolts, each end bouncing off the rope) :LOL: The rear car should always be watching the tension so theres no jolting or tugging. Rope not too long, but long enough to see from the car behind.

Not sure if its essential, but display an "on tow" sign. Not sure if a 1.2 clio would pull another, I would think so if its only 6 miles.

Like i said, never done it, await more advice.

Be aware that the towed car's brakes won't be as effective when the engine is not running (servo assistance)

Sponsored Links
use a rigid bar to tow lot easier.

I'll 2nd that, my wife will never tow me again unless I get a bar.
Her experiences with a tow rope are something neither of us want to go through again.

start stop, bump, start stop stall, start stop etc

Be aware that the towed car's brakes won't be as effective when the engine is not running (servo assistance)
nor will its steering (though in my C4 the power steering can be activated by giving the wheel a quarter turn while the engines not running (key in) - its very stiff, then loosens up when the servo kicks in) expect this drains battery quickly though. Not that i drive much with the engine off. :LOL:

Their are more rules and regs than you could shake a big stick at.
Remote brake and indicator lights, insurance, tax, mot (if somebody is in the towed car) etc.
If you do decide to do it, Make sure the steering lock is off.
Best bet is to call the AA/RAC and say its just broken down. They'll tow you home (on an A-frame)

... would a 1.2 clio pull another 1.2 clio

is this another of those " a plane sits on a conveyor belt..." questions?

anywho.. saw some idiot towing his mate.. about a 10M tow rope by the looks of it..
stopped at a roundabout and the first guy pulled off, followed about 6 seconds later by the second guy..
in the meantime, a car crossed behind the first guy and drove straight over the tow rope, didn't see it and no indication on the cars that they were tower and towee..

Sponsored Links
Back