Tracing a leak in pipework under concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone give me any tips about tracing a leak? We live in a second floor flat built late 1960s. The lady downstairs noticed water dripping through her kitchen ceiling presumably from our flat - it's soapy so probably from washing machine or sink which both drain through the same pipe. There's no leaks above the surface, but then the pipe goes under the floor which is concrete. How can we trace where the leak is without digging up the whole floor? Also, to add to the complications, the flat has underfloor heating which is electrical type not water heated. Is this likely to be above or below any waste water pipe, and will we be able to get up the concrete without damaging it?

Any top tips about how to do this, or who we can hire to do it properly and efficiently would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks

Sponsored Links
suggest you check out this company haven't used them myself but have heard good reports

Munters MCS - Leak Detection Services

munters.co.uk

Steve

Your most cost efective answer is ---- leave the old pipework alone , and investigate the possibility of re piping the wastes above the floor into the soil pipe -- you really don`t want to start digging up floors :eek: You need to hire a plumber - check with the Institute of Plumbing in the phone books - or @ your local council offices for recommended Trades. If you`re in E. Sussex - I`ll have a look ;)

Hi Nige F

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately we're up near Manchester so a bit far for you to come! We did think about what you suggested, but it seems like it would be problematic as there is a door to the balcony between the sink and where the waste pipes seem to run down. So far, the people who have come to have a look have been via our insurance company as we had a bit of emergency call out cover, but they don't seem to have applied a very thoughtful approach to it.... I'll try to find a plumber locally who can suggest some options. Thanks for your help.

Phoebe

Sponsored Links
We have had good results in tracing leaks in Under floor heating using an infrared thermometer you can easily see hot spots and the thermometer is reasonably cheap to buy!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back