Tracing wall for shower pipes.

and as long as there is access to them then they're not really buried (inaccessible), if you see what I mean ...

.... fingers, toes, arm and legs crossed ;)

Sponsored Links
and as long as there is access to them then they're not really buried (inaccessible), if you see what I mean ...

Well the elbows will be buried which is a concern for me but given I wouldn’t risk attempting to weld copper it’s my only option at this late stage.

Hi mate, just wanted to update you. Good news is, I didn't flood the house!

Walls chased, pipework done, pipes covered (just to be sure to be sure plaster doesn't cause any issues), and I am now just waiting on the plasterer. He was to come today but I had a leak last night due to being tired and not pushing a pipe into a 90º elbow properly and wanted to buy a new one today as insert got stuck in it. That all said, everything is sitting pretty and he will be here on Saturday.

I know that burying a Hep2o fitting is frowned upon by many a plumber but having read up a lot on the fittings they are safe to bury if done right. Regulations require that any buried plastic piping is installed in conduit so that it can be pulled out and replaced. Meh. I'll take my chances.

But I am planning for a worse case scenario and if they do leak I will keep a spare box of tiles. The pipework coming down from the ceiling also has 2 Hep2o elbows but they are accessible from upstairs if one was to lift the flooring and floorboards.

In all, I'm very fussy and have a serious issue with OCD and I am happy with the job I did and I'm my own worst critic.

I'll post the finished pics when plasterer has left.

Attachments

• 3C009CAE-CAB0-45C4-89BE-50A9083D1802.jpg
    3C009CAE-CAB0-45C4-89BE-50A9083D1802.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 25
All looking good. Though you may find your plaster has an issue with the insulation, he may not be able to plaster onto that as it's too soft/springy, why did you use insulation anyway BTW? If you are planning to tile or wall board over once the plastering is done, then insulation wouldn't be needed. Also if it's to be covered with board or tile then don't plaster over the fittings but it all comes down to how you are going to fit the shower to the wall

Not sure if you have completed things yet but can I recommend you use a bit of copper for the tails coming out of the wall, that the shower will connect to. Much easier for a fitting kit or similar to couple to, for the shower then to connect to

Sponsored Links
All looking good. Though you may find your plaster has an issue with the insulation, he may not be able to plaster onto that as it's too soft/springy, why did you use insulation anyway BTW? If you are planning to tile or wall board over once the plastering is done, then insulation wouldn't be needed. Also if it's to be covered with board or tile then don't plaster over the fittings but it all comes down to how you are going to fit the shower to the wall

Not sure if you have completed things yet but can I recommend you use a bit of copper for the tails coming out of the wall, that the shower will connect to. Much easier for a fitting kit or similar to couple to, for the shower then to connect to
why did you use insulation anyway BTW

Trying to be fancy No, not really. I was just concerned about plaster reacting with the pipe. But I can take it off if you think it wouldn't make any difference?

Also if it's to be covered with board or tile then don't plaster over the fittings but it all comes down to how you are going to fit the shower to the wall

I plan to tile the shower walls so yeah I would be tiling over the pipes. Are you saying don't plaster over the pipes and elbow or just don't plaster over elbow?

Not sure if you have completed things yet but can I recommend you use a bit of copper for the tails coming out of the wall, that the shower will connect to.

Everything is as in the picture I attached above as the plasterer won't be here to Saturday. So I could pick up a length of copper and do as you say for the tails. I had read elsewhere not use copper as tails as someone wrote:

I’ve buried hundreds of these and I don’t think I’ve ever seen an issue… Use the correct insert, don’t try and use chrome pipe as tails, and then just clip back and plaster over.

Thanks again for all your help!

if you think it wouldn't make any difference?
Insulation wont make any difference as long as it's barrier pipe, which most is these days. If you're at all concerned then just tape the pipe up
I plan to tile the shower walls so yeah I would be tiling over the pipes. Are you saying don't plaster over the pipes and elbow or just don't plaster over elbow?
If you're tiling over then plastering wouldn't really be needed but no harm in doing it, take your plasterers advice on that one
I had read elsewhere not use copper as tails as someone wrote: "don’t try and use chrome pipe as tails"
Don't use chrome tails for sure, too hard, but copper's fine, how are you attaching the shower, using a fitting kit? Just remember that you'll need to screw through the tile so be careful about the elbows when it comes to fitting. I tend to solder a little copper then and elbow and copper tails if it's plastic in the wall and then can use a push fit coupler a little further up, give more space to screw the fixing plates to the wall without catch the fitting

1698917125686.png

Insulation wont make any difference as long as it's barrier pipe, which most is these days. If you're at all concerned then just tape the pipe up

If you're tiling over then plastering wouldn't really be needed but no harm in doing it, take your plasterers advice on that one

Don't use chrome tails for sure, too hard, but copper's fine, how are you attaching the shower, using a fitting kit? Just remember that you'll need to screw through the tile so be careful about the elbows when it comes to fitting. I tend to solder a little copper then and elbow and copper tails if it's plastic in the wall and then can use a push fit coupler a little further up, give more space to screw the fixing plates to the wall without catch the fitting

View attachment 319359
Just an update mate,

Plastering is now done. I changed the tails for copper as per your suggestions and opted to leave the Hep elbows exposed, for no other reason than in case the plaster setting disrupted the seal in any way. After all, if they are going to be tiled over, they are still buried. Plasterer says he has been to loads of jobs where he is asked to plaster over them and does so and never had an issue. But I aired on the side of caution.

Only issue now is how to secure the fitting kit bracket for the shower. The screws will miss the elbow but they've nothing to be secured into apart from a tile (when they are installed). I could maybe opt for No More Nails as the bracket will be covered with a sleeve but that is least of my worries. Wet room flooring going down next.

Attachments

• IMG_9033.jpeg
    IMG_9033.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 19

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back