Tracking down non standard size T5 fluorescent lamp, please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

A customer needs a new lamp - Its a T5 6 watt for under cabinet fitting. BUT it's not the standard length
I've tried searching on line, but didn't get very far. I think from memory that MFI used to supply odd sized ones, but they're bust now...

The lamp length end of pins to end of pins is 219mm and length of lamp (without pins) is 203mm (or 8")

Hopefully some lovely person out there will be able to help me

Thanks

SB :D

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem a couple of years ago, it was easier and not that expensive to swap out the complete fitting for a standard sized one.

i had exactly the same problem in the summer. Had to replace the whole unit after no joy walking round a few shops.

Sponsored Links
SB.

I feel for you!

I have had this problem several times over. It seems all manufacturers of these miniature flu's have their own sizes, nothing is standardised.

Being an old fart, I used to spend time trying to find a replacement lamp rather than bin the whole lot and fit a new one. But, alas, I have given up, as it is far cheaper (especially if you carry the fittings) just to replace the whole lot.

It grieves me, though, to chuck away something that is working just because you can't find spares for it.

Rocky - I heart you!

Those are the exact dimensions - not sure why I was convinced it was a T5...

Secure - yes well annoying that there's no 'standard' size, but I think Rocky's found a match

Many, many thanks

SB

Try your local City Electrical factors (CEF). I have had this problem a few times and they have come up with the right size. Also don't worry if the new tube is a few mm shorter it will still work OK, but if a few mm longer, you get the drift!

Local DIY store here in Liverpool, (Taskers), have these in T4 at 207mm

Cost £2.99 each but not sure if they will post to you.

Tel: 0151 - 525-4844

ARRGGGG

The screwfix ones arrived and DESPITE me phoning them to check the dimensions they are the wrong size.

Will try the other suggestion as they have both dims on the listing

Thanks folks

SB

can you swap a lamp over with another fitting and vise versa to test the old lamp and the fitting , you may go to all the trouble and find the fitting u/s

Power off them fittings first as relamping live sometimes blows the electronics

Hi Rocky

I'm getting power at the fitting - door opener switch - just had to keep my finger on it to keep it off!

Thanks

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back