T4 or T5 fluorescent link lights - confused!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We currently have some old T5 fluorescent lights under our kitchen units, fitted by a previous occupier. The tube lengths are non-standard, and replacement tubes cost ~£8-15 each each (depending on length) - when you can get them. I'm going to change the lighting under the units (and put some on top of them), to give more light in a gloomy kitchen. But, I don't want to fit lights with odd sizes, I want the ~£2.50 replacement tubes.

I've seen T4's in all kinds of different sizes, and whilst most T5's are standardish - not all are. I know some of these issues have been discussed before, but not for several years. T4's or T5's? what lengths are standard? 300mm, 600mm, 900mm?? Is there anything better now (I don't want halogen)? LED?

This is very interesting (if a little confusing!).

tia!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys...

Think I like the slim ones best, not least because they're cheap!

Where are you from spark123? I'm in Carlisle (if you're in Carlisle - where's a good place to get 'em from?). Edmondsons (local retailer) wanted £66 for 4 smallish T4's...

Ta!

Sponsored Links
I'm from the opposite end of the county.
TLC (the website we both linked to above) do delivery

Having looked more closely at the links, this is a case in point. Both are T5 fluorescents, but:

slim
6w/275mm
10w/243mm
16w/525mm

other
6w/9"(228mm)
8w/12"(305mm)
15w/18"(457mm)

etc

All different sizes! so when I come to buy replacement tubes...

Thanks for all your replies, but it is still confusing. The £1.99 lamp page has the comment:

These tubes are only recommended for use with our fittings.
as lengths may vary between manufactures.
Please check if buying for use with another fitting.

Although they're really cheap, that's exactly what I was trying to get away from :(. I need 3-4 different length lights, and if they're all bespoke lengths I foresee issues with replacement tubes.

It hacks me off when a normal BC/ES lamp goes, I always seem have the wrong replacement! call me old fashioned...

Hmm...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back