Kitchen lighting - T5 fluorescent light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under our kitchen wall units are a number of small fluorescent light fittings which provide light to the work top areas. One of them, which takes a 14W T5 tube, is flickering and proving troublesome.

Some weeks ago I replaced the tube but now the new one is flickering too. My next thought would have been to replace the starter but there doesn't appear to be one. Also there is no obvious way to open the unit.

Sadly the unit does not appear to have a manufacturer's label, just SLL14 written on the side.

Any advice please?

Thanks.

PS The kitchen and light fittings are about 5 years old. The others are still working perfectly. I have also checked the wiring to the light fitting and that appears fine.

Sponsored Links
Those are always troublesome. Especially if they are subject to breathing in steam etc.

If you want something to last a long time, change all of the fittings for LED.

A lot of them are unbranded with SLL on them, as above greenbrook are one supplier, unfortunately the plug arangement is not standard and other models may not just plug in.
Also never relamp with the power on as this sometimes damages the electronics inside.
For some reason, likely the heat, the fittings tend to fail before the lamps do

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all the help and advice. No steam, loose connections or dodgy switches so I shall send off for a replacement unit (and may have to change the connector).

As a side issue, it will be interesting to see if the enclosed tube is the same colour temperature as our other existing ones. When I bought a new tube for this one, despite trying 2 tubes which claimed to be white 3400K triphosphor T5 tubes, they were a very different colour to the existing (more than the gradual change I would expect over time).

... despite trying 2 tubes which claimed to be white 3400K triphosphor T5 tubes, they were a very different colour to the existing (more than the gradual change I would expect over time).
It obviously shouldn't be the case but, in my experience, there seems to be a very surprising degree of variation in apparent colour of light from lamps with allegedly the same colour temperature, with most types of lamp.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back