Trade nicknames

a grease monkey/spanner monkey has always been a mechanic.

Sponsored Links
Drippy for a Plumber
Framer for a Scaffolder
Stoner for a Mason
Kitsch for Kitchen Fitter
Roofie for a Roofer
Lofty for a Loft Converter
Joker for a Gas Fitter
Metallic for a Metal Worker
Windy for an Air Conditioner
Treader for a Floorer
Grinder for a Grounds Person
Do In Yourselfer for a DIYer
Glassy for a Glazier / Window Fitter
Tripper for an Electrician
Flamer for a Fire Person
Alarmist for Alarm Fitters
Square for a Tiler
Slopper for a Plasterer
Gracias for a Gardener
Up or Downer for a Soul Saver / Evangelist

I do some times wonder about even official names.
Train driver UK, Engineer US
Fireman on a train, Stoker on a boat.

Many names origin in Latin as Plumber is a worker of Lead, and when I was a lad they would also do the flashing on the roof.

Pipe fitters I knew worked with 36 inch heavy wall steel pipes, and there was no question very skilled, using interferometry to measure etc.

So what is the name for some one who works with copper or plastic pipe, can't call them a pipe fitter, that trade already exists, can't call them a plumber even the solder is lead free, I suppose it is not really a trade, but just part of a trade, so a heating and ventilating engineer would learn how to work with copper and plastic pipes as part of their trade. However is heating and ventilating a trade or a profession? As with electrician or electrical engineer, up to and including level 3 is an electrician a trade, above level 3 an electrical engineer a profession. Other than US engine driver engineer means degree standard.

So today is Plumber a nick name, few still work with lead, organ builders are called organ builders not plumbers even if they are one of the few trades who still work with lead.

Sponsored Links
Agency painter/inexperienced painter = brush hand
Proper painter and decorator = decco
Dry liner = ***** (unprintable)
Sheet metal worker = tin basher

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, this is a real story.
Once I met this fella, he referred to his profession as "the addresser".
His duties consisted in wearing a waterproof yellow overall, mask and gloves.
He worked with very expensive horses, "helping" them mounting the shy other halves.
To do so he had to hold the horse's sausage and "address" it into the correct cavity.
I would've called it a breeder assistant, but he seemed pretty please with "the addresser".

Sponsored Links
Back