Tradesman has cracked a roof tile around skylight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had a chap who’s repaired some guttering above our kitchen extension which has a Velux skylight window in.

He’s obviously stepped on a weak part on that corner.

I’m terrified now in case we start to get a leak. Do any professional roofers think the likelihood of a leak forming if high?

Does the window have flashing around the edging and / or the underlay prevent any leak arriving from the position of this crack do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• E1F0AAF4-9D98-4F87-BB6E-C8D100434899.jpeg
    E1F0AAF4-9D98-4F87-BB6E-C8D100434899.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links
The flashing extends under the tiles, but not the full width of the cracked tile. Then there will be your underlay as a second defence .
Just get the tile cut and changed and while they are at it ask them to check to the back gutter is fitted properly , it appears not quite right in your picture.
I doubt you'll get flooded out ..

Does that look like a screw through the back gutter to you ? I can see it's not sat down properly

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies everyone.

The screw head in question (it has no thread or body) pinged off the gutter where the bracket was out of view at the top of houses’ main roof (which is why the guy was up there repairing it in the first place!)

Just out of interest chaps, why do you think the metal/plastic gutter thing bit behind the window isn’t quite right? Is it because it shouldn’t be collecting rain as much?

Not really clued up on this type of thing!

Here’s a close up pic of said screw and area in question…

Attachments

• 3325EC9C-AEE4-46FA-BEE4-6DF330EEC31B.jpeg
    3325EC9C-AEE4-46FA-BEE4-6DF330EEC31B.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 158

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back