Tradesman wont give final invoice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit of a strange one.

I had a home extension built which was finished 18months ago and still haven't received the final invoice from the electrician despite me chasing him many times.

His original quote was about £5k, and there was some variance to the work completed, eg some extra work done and some original work not done.

He keeps telling me he needs to sit down and work out the final invoice and will need to pop round to remind himself what he did. I've always said that's fine with me, and I doubt we will dispute his bill, we had a good relationship during his time onsite. I am also happy with the work he did.

My building inspector is chasing me to get the job signed off, but I don't have the cert from the electrician for the work he has done.

I don't know where to go from here. I'm effectively chasing the tradesman to take my money but he doesnt seem bothered.

I've put the money to one side to pay him, but I just want the matter closed. Any advise on how to go about this, eg can I send a letter to the tradesman setting a date to get this resolved and if he doesn't just say I consider the matter closed and he doesn't expect payment, and I just get another electrician to do the certificate?

Sponsored Links
Just keep pressuring him, hes probably really busy. Tell him to at least get the cert completed otherwise you'll have to get another electrician in to test and certify his work .

Maybe he’s not able to offer a certificate?

Probably not part of a recognised scheme, if he isn't someone.might be prepared to come in check it and sign it off. Sparkies seem to do this. I dontbdo it for gas though !!

To the original poster just say your being chased by building control to the electrician and does he have a problem in you getting someone in to sign off and certify his work ? He may have emotional problems who knows...the fact you owe him money and he's not chasing it suggests alls not well but not in a conning way.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you aware of any extras and variations he did during works?

Were they discussed and agreed?

And have you paid anything towards the original £5k agreed amount so far?

Back