Traditional boiler - switch between hot water only and heating and hot water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wiki/faq, but I couldn't find it...

I have a traditional (non-combi) boiler, which both heats the radiators and provides hot water, but in the summer, it would be useful to have hot water only. Obviously, I could turn off all the radiators in the house. But when I moved in, I was told something about a 'tap' (round head) in the airing cupboard I could turn which would switch between hot water only, heating on or both (I think).

Does that sound right / normal? I'm a bit reluctant to use them, as they turn quite a bit way both ways and getting back in the right position might be tricky. Would anyone be kind enough to explain how this works? And (assuming it is what I think it is), can you have anything fitted to make it easier to switch between hot water only or heating and hot water?

There's a shelf immediately above the hot water tank, and the first picture is above and the second below. Then there are two more pictures taken from as far back as I can - the best I can do, sorry (the shelf can't be removed). Not sure what any of those taps do, so any advice much appreciated...

IMG_20161024_200131.jpg

IMG_20161024_200433.jpg

IMG_20161025_100046.jpg

IMG_20161025_100216.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A few pictures of the system would save a lot of guesswork. It maybe that there is a simple gate valve to turn rads off in Summer. That maybe in your airing cupboard, but only guessing.

Sponsored Links
Pics need to be a bit further away and show the pump and include more surrounding pipework. My initial guess may well be correct, and your heating is simply controlled by turning a gate valve on/ off.

45yearsagasman, have added 2 more pictures, which are the best I can do, sorry.

gasmanstu72, thanks for the advice. I can't remember anymore which tap I was told to use, so that's very helpful.

Do most people with non-combi boilers have some tap/valve that they can use to switch between heating and water and just heating, or do they just turn off all the radiators?

Thanks

Do most people with non-combi boilers have some tap/valve that they can use to switch between heating and water and just heating, or do they just turn off all the radiators?

Neither. Since the 1980's heating systems have been fitted with motorised valves that control the heating and hot water automatically according to time and temperature control. Most of the older systems have also now been upgraded

'S Plan' with 2 x two port motorised valves

'Y Plan' with 1 x three port valve

Thanks, Stem. That would explain why I couldn't find out much about this - because I have an ancient system, and most people don't have this problem!

Is it possible to hazard a guess, based on what you can see, how practical / expensive it would be to adapt what I have to one of the above systems?

It shouldn't take too much work. From what I can see of the pipes you wouldn't have to change anything, other than insert a single 3 port valve where the pipe from the pump splits off to the hot water cylinder and radiators.

Most of the work would be electrical, wiring in the motorised valve, programmer, room and cylinder thermostats.

You can buy a kit of parts here for less than £150 and DIY it, or otherwise you would need to have a plumber install the motorised valve and an electrician to wire it all up. It would normally be done in a day.

You would then have separate time and temperature control for both the heating and hot water.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies previously. As it's now reached the point where I don't need my radiators on for I while, I've now turned the green gate valve fully, and am now getting only hot water. I just have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to give their theories...

1) I'm getting a lot of noise (gurgling) coming from the area around the green gate valve - should I be concerned?
2) I was hoping I'd only need to have the boiler on for a shorter time now I'm only heating the water, but that doesn't seem to be the case - or doesn't it work like that?
3) The radiator next to the boiler still gets hot, but none of the others do - any ideas?

Thanks again

sounds like the radiator next to the boiler has been plumbed in as a heat dump nothing to be concerned about

sounds like the radiator next to the boiler has been plumbed in as a heat dump nothing to be concerned about

Thanks for the reply, Ian. If you (or anyone else) had to guess, how would this method compare with just turning all the radiators off? Any advantages / disadvantages between the two?

Thanks for the reply, Ian. If you (or anyone else) had to guess, how would this method compare with just turning all the radiators off? Any advantages / disadvantages between the two?
I would just leave it as is and dry towels and clothes on there, it is there to dump the heat once your hot water tank is up to temperature, instead of it boiling and pumping over and wasting the heat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back