Trafic 2003 CLUTCH Pedal query ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Here goes with another query /fault on my 2003 Diesel Trafic

Lately each Moring the Break Pedal on my Trafic has been low , I put my foot under it to raise it , Then I need to pump it a few times to sort of get a decent Pedal pressure , after that its fine all day with no problems with Gear changes ,Its not losing any Fluid , and it had a new Clutch & Gearbox maybe 30.000 miles, when they said they changed the Slave Cylinder

Any clues whatsup this time ???

Cheers in anticipation.

Lucky

Sponsored Links
This does indicate to me that the brake master cylinder is slowly allowing brake fluid to leak back within itself when the vehicle isn't being used.
If you apply heavy pressure to the pedal, does it slowly sink to the floor?
John :)

I don't understand. first you said the brake pedal then, went on to describe your gear changes and clutch.
Did I miss something?

Sponsored Links
Excess pedal travel is almost always linked to a rear brake issue (if drums) as the wheel cylinder has to be filled with fluid before it will press the shoes in contact with the drum. However, this excess travel does manifest itself every time the pedal is pressed, often requiring a couple of pedal pumps before the pedal comes high. Disc systems aren't affected by this as they are self adjusting.
The only conclusion I can really come to is that the master cylinder is starting to show its age a bit!
The clutch isn't affected by this, but it will share the same fluid reservoir.

Whoops drop a goolie !!

Its the Clutch pedal that's the Problem

No issues with the Brakes !!

(It was a busy day )

Cheers

Ill update later with how it is today

Thanks

Check for leaking into the dust boot on the new CLUTCH slave cylinder down on the gearbox

Bleed to make sure it was been bled properly after changing the slave

If no better and no leaks, clutch master cylinder up at the pedal.

If you leave a cement block on the pedal overnight (block it down someway), it may not happen

Aha ye olde Renault problem then.....any work on the clutch hydraulics and they are a pig to bleed fully afterwards - believe it!
I use a Gunsons Eesibleed device, which effectively pressurises the master cylinder and forces the fluid through the slave cylinder.
No amount of the usual pumping with the pedal ever bleeds these!

I`ll get my Buddy to try that , Though I must say its been ok for the last 2 days !

Thanks for the input .... MUCH appreiciated

Lucky

The chances are the last bubble has worked its way out, Lucky....in which case there shouldn't be any more problems.

Been too busy to get anything sorted , and things have been ok....ish , But had major problems getting into reverse today twice , and the Pedal appears to be a bit lower , so I need to get it sorted asap !!

Cheers for the input , I`ll keep you updated

Lucky

At the end of the day, you may need a new clutch master cylinder - they behave in exactly the same way as the brake one, and have the same failure symptoms.

The £££ trap has gone in for surgery , I`ll keep you updated

Thanks for your help again Burnerman

Lucky

:cry: ...........Garage says the clutch OR the Slave Cylinder has gone , Apparently the Slave is inside the Box ?? They are stripping it down today

I`ll be back

Lucky

Slave cylinder for sure, and yes it is inside the bell housing.
You said you had a new clutch/gearbox/slave cylinder only 30k miles ago?

Sponsored Links
Back