Trailer security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, thinking of buying a twin-axle trailer which would be stored at a friend's house, as I don't have the room at home. My thoughts have turning to the subject of security & thought I'd ask for ideas on the subject.

The trailer would be within sight of the road on a housing estate; my friend rents the property so a post/base plate cemented into the drive is not an option, plus there is no vehicle on the drive to be used as an obstruction.
I could fit a hitch lock but having a dry weight of just 250kg three or four fit blokes could simply lift the trailer onto a flat-bed.
I could remove the wheels, thus making the theft less attractive because the thieves would have to source replacements in order to use the trailer or sell it on.

Any alternatives?
Thanks for reading folks

Sponsored Links
Sorry, probably not helpful, but it all sounds a bit worrisome to me!

If it were me, the price to buy/insure/maintain and the time taken to locate and secure it at a friend's house, plus the likelihood of it being pinched, would have to seriously outweigh the cost of an insured/maintained/delivered/stored trailer on occasional hire.

The cost of worry and inconvenience can be surprisingly high!
And how would your friend feel if the trailer disappeared from their driveway?

Also, I wouldn't want to get them into trouble; I doubt storing a trailer in their drive would be covered by their tenancy agreement! :)

Sorry, probably not helpful, but it all sounds a bit worrisome to me!

If it were me, the price to buy/insure/maintain and the time taken to locate and secure it at a friend's house, plus the likelihood of it being pinched, would have to seriously outweigh the cost of an insured/maintained/delivered/stored trailer on occasional hire.

The cost of worry and inconvenience can be surprisingly high!
And how would your friend feel if the trailer disappeared from their driveway?

Also, I wouldn't want to get them into trouble; I doubt storing a trailer in their drive would be covered by their tenancy agreement! :)
Good points, I've both considered the hire option & utilised it on occasions ... nothing like having your own kit though ;)

Sponsored Links
None of the security arrangements do anything other than buy you time. I have one of those expanding golfball things in the tow hitch, but it wouldn't deter a well-equipped thief for more than about a minute or two.
How often will you use it? Is taking the hitch off and refitting it each time you use it, an option? Certainly, taking the wheels off would help.

Incidentally, 250kg seems quite light for a twin axle trailer? Mine is about 450kg (though it's old and built like the proverbial brick outhouse)!

None of the security arrangements do anything other than buy you time. I have one of those expanding golfball things in the tow hitch, but it wouldn't deter a well-equipped thief for more than about a minute or two.
How often will you use it? Is taking the hitch off and refitting it each time you use it, an option? Certainly, taking the wheels off would help.

Incidentally, 250kg seems quite light for a twin axle trailer? Mine is about 450kg (though it's old and built like the proverbial brick outhouse)!
Appreciate your reply. I think being sans wheels would be more of a deterrent than a missing hitch as the scroats would have to physically lift/carry the trailer onto their vehicle.

nb: Listed as 245kg for 8x4 load bed, modern trailers are a lot lighter than the oldies' especially in un-braked form, even a 10x5 version from the same manuf. is only 345kg.
405/505kg are not great load capacities, but then the trailer's cargo would likely be bulky rather than heavy.

Last edited:
Ah! Of course! I was just assuming any twin axle trailer would be braked, but yes, if it's 750kg gross, there's no reason for it to be so. That makes sense. You can get single axle trailers with that capacity though? Would that not give you a better payload?

Ah! Of course! I was just assuming any twin axle trailer would be braked, but yes, if it's 750kg gross, there's no reason for it to be so. That makes sense. You can get single axle trailers with that capacity though? Would that not give you a better payload?
I haven't researched that possibility but I doubt a single axle unit would offer the same load area & a tandem axle will tow better/safer.
From a purely aesthetic point of view a platform (running gear under the deck) trailer would look better behind a 4x4 & offer a more comfortable loading height for someone with a bad back :rolleyes:

Aye, that's fair enough. There are certainly plenty of single axle 3/4 ton trailers around, but I take your point about deck height and stability.

Double axle trailers are not as manoeuvrable as a single axle trailer. When you unhitch them to push them into their storage space, a good tip is to wind the jockey wheel down until the front wheels of the trailer are off the ground before trying to park it by hand.

Double axle trailers are not as manoeuvrable as a single axle trailer. When you unhitch them to push them into their storage space, a good tip is to wind the jockey wheel down until the front wheels of the trailer are off the ground before trying to park it by hand.
I am au fait with trailers but thank you for your input.
Another reason for my looking at unbraked models, 750kg gross is sufficient for my needs & the dry weight of such a trailer makes it manageable by a single person. Cranking the lead axle off the deck is a good tip, though sometimes it's possible to 'bounce' that axle (on hard ground) in order to steer the trailer backwards.

I used a trailer hitch lock and one of those balls that clamp up into the hitch as well as a wheel clamp. Guy down the road has one wheel clamped and the other removed. You could also try a shed alarm and give your mate a key/remote in case it goes off.

I used a trailer hitch lock and one of those balls that clamp up into the hitch as well as a wheel clamp. Guy down the road has one wheel clamped and the other removed. You could also try a shed alarm and give your mate a key/remote in case it goes off.
I like the shed alarm angle especially as I've already got an unused one, somewhere :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Back