Trailers and overhangs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quick question about overhangs.
Similiar to recent threads about overhangs front and rear but does anyone know the ruling for side overhang?
The circumstances-I have a trailer that is pulled behind my transit and some times a friends focus. We have a wooden cart that is being replaced and because this cart will have a clay oven built on it I'm looking at being able to push the cart over the trailer and thus onto the trailer to make loading easier. This would mean that the wheels or more likely the axle stubs would stick out to the side of the trailer, something like 9 inches or so .
Now the van is a little over 6 feet wide and the trailer is just over 4 feet wide meaning the axle stubs wouldn't be wider than the van, however is this all legal? I'm surposing that I'll need those red and white markers that I see on lorries , do I need extra lights on the stubs as well?
Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
The maximum width of a trailer must not exceed 2.3 metres (7’6”) or 2.5 metres (8’2.5”) when towed by a heavy goods vehicle. The trailer must not extend more than 305mm (12”) outwards each side of the towing vehicle, irrespective of allowable width.
The maximum permitted trailer body length without the tow bar is 7 metres but the overall train length must not exceed 18.35 metres.

this was the ruling, but i believe they are looking at changing it.

as long as the wheels are covered by mudguards, afaik there is no requirement for side lighting on a trailer this wide, its only when the trailer is wider than the vehicle that marker lights are required. just googling trailer brings up plenty of images of trailers fitting your description with mudguards and no lighting on them.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will be ok reading from what you say about widths.
In case I wasn't clear and was confusing with talk of axles sticking out etc- the trailer is 4 feet wide and has lights and covered wheels,
now the "load" is also a wheeled cart and it's the axles of this and possibly the wheels too (wooden so they can't run on the road) that would overhang the trailer but won't exceed the width of the van. Sorry if this seems an odd sort of arrangement, as I have said the clay oven is built onto the wooden cart and is a struggle to load and unload so the idea of just being able to push it over and onto the road trailer seems to be the best idea we can come up with.

Sponsored Links
Back