trailing and leading edge dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
some time ago I fitted ceiling downlighter LEDs controlled by a dimmer. Recently the bulbs have misbehaved and it has been suggested that I have the wrong type of dimmer. Obviously the simple thing to do is just buy a trailing edge dimmer and bin the original.
But I wondered, is there any way to check/test what kind if dimmer I have, before lashing out a tenner?! :)

Sponsored Links
Some dimmers state the type on the back.

If not, the only other way is to examine the output waveform using an oscilloscope. Unless you happen to already own one and know how to use it, this will cost vastly more than a new dimmer.

However what exactly went wrong with the lighting - generally if the dimmer is not compatible with the lamps (or transformers if fitted), problems would have shown up immediately.

Thank you.
I was just curious really and have already ordered a new, trailing edge, dimmer. One of the bulbs started flickering so I yanked it and a couple of weeks later another started doing the same. I put both in a different, non-dimmed, installation, and they flickered there also. Given these things are sold on reliability and 1000's of hours life, I wondered.
I do have an oscilloscope somewhere in the attic so might try using it one day.
Well, maybe! :D

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back