Leading edge dimmer and LEDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use a decent LED GU10 (such as Megaman 141401) on a leading edge dimmer, or do I need to change it for trailing edge?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I agree
Our lamps are designed for leading edge dimmers but will work with some trailing edge models. Please consult the manufacturer for loading and operation advice or visit our extensive website for a list of approved dimmers.
Reading about dimmers it would seem government guide lines limit stand-by power usage to 1W and modern dimmers should allow less than 1W to be used when switch off lightwaveRF dimmers are down to 0.5W. There is clearly a limit on how small the LED load can go and for the bulb to switch off. This is also reflected in bulb sizes for dimmable bulbs. A Megaman Led Pygmy Lamp 2w E14 Cap Warm White is only 100 Lumens, standard lumen per watt for LED is 100 lumen per watt so in real terms 1W is thrown away to allow you to dim the bulb.

Personally even if the bulb is only 50 lumen per watt it means in real terms fit and forget and I don't mind it using the extra power when to get more efficient types they cost double the price at least. Even if my living room would be better lit using a 5 foot tube I am not going to use one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back