Transferring e-mails.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. My trio of networked pc's are still running smoothly.

I have a e-mail account: [email protected]

Mrs Secure has an e-mail address of the type: [email protected]

Now I have set up her own pc, she has her own e-mail account, with the same address as before.

I want to forward all her e-mails that are on my pc., but the system does not seem to want to.

Any ideas, please?

Sponsored Links
and what does it actually do?

i can send emails from this pc to my mrs pc and i can reach over and touch her pc.

i just select the email and then forward it from which ever em,ail address top her email address.

it doesnt go via the network though, it goes via my email server to hers then her email clien downloads it.

just like i was sending an email to say, you.

Can you explain in more depth how you tried to forward messages and if you received any error messages? As breezer said should be an easy task to perform either individual or in a group of messages

Not sure about Outlook Express but in Outlook:

Highlight each email you want to forward (multiple select by holding down CTRL)

Then while items still selected Right Click and select Forward Items. A new email box will open type in the email address and send as normal.

Sponsored Links
You could also do it using the "files and settings transfer" wizard, under prgrams/accessories/system tools which is intended for this sort of thing.

If you don't want her to have much of your stuff, you will want to tick "let me select a custom list" otherwise delete the unwanted stuff after it arrives.

there should be a way to "export mail log" using File/Export/Messages but I can't get it to work, I copy the files to a CD and import them at the new PC.

e-mail is by OE6.

I highlight the ones I want to send, then right click.

The "forward" option is greyed out...

Breezer, I too can reach Mrs Secure's pc...

Can you export .pst files in outlook express?

Go to file and see if there is an import/export option.

If there is, you should be able to export all of the mail to a .pst file, copy it over to the 2nd pc and then import.

You would probably have to filter out your mail once over to her PC.

Note, altough this is how you do it in Outlook, im not sure about express.

I have OE6 :)

i went into the list of sent items
pick one
right click on it and up pops a new menu
5th one down is forward

just tried several yep i can do that to, but i never actually sent them.

have you tried reinstalling OE6?

SS,
If the emails are in your Inbox folder just hold down Ctrl and left click on each one to hilite it then in the toolbar at the top of the Inbox click on Forward which is the little arrow pointing to the head of the icon.
Works for me. It puts then in a 'Compose Message' window as attachments.
Try it with about three or four to start with so as not to over size the email.
dave

http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#archive

How do I archive a folder of messages?

Choose either method:
Start a New Mail Message, drag the folder contents and drop them on the message, thus creating attachments. Click File| Save as... and save the message as file type *.eml. (Tip: you can later compress the *.eml file using a zip program to save disk space.) To restore the folder contents, double-click the saved *.eml file, select all the attachments and drag them into an OE mail folder. (see also: Tip - Archive a Folder)

Create an Archive folder in OE, then drag messages into it. Close OE and copy the "Archive.dbx" file to a safe place. Open OE and delete the contents of the Archive folder. To restore the old archive, close OE and replace the "Archive.dbx" file with the backup version. If the Archive folder no longer exists inside OE, create it again and copy one message into it (to force OE to create the *.dbx file), close OE, and then replace the new "Archive.dbx" with the backup copy. (see also: Partial Backup)

Creative use of the first method above - like, sending email with attachments to the wife, rather than 'saving as'.

I would try the second method copying the .DBX file ... Have to create folder in wife's OE using exactly same name, 'add a file' etc as in instructions above.
:cool:

that sounds like the method I use* -

identify the mails you want, put them all into one or more maillogs that you note the names of

CLOSE OE

in Windows Explorer search for your "*.dbx" files

copy the ones you want to to a CD

put the CD in other computer and in OE, go

file
import
import from store directory
(navigate to your CD)

you can import address book as well if you want in a similar way

*except that when I do it, it's to create a backup copy of email so i can import it in case of crash or something

Quick way of transfering bulk emails is to use a memory stick, just select all the emails then drag them onto the memory stick, then place the stick into the other machine, select the mail and drag them into the inbox... Al.

We are talking a steam powered machine here ... The mails are probably hand written !! :D :D :D :D
Come on SS dig out that purse - spend it before Gordon does it for you !
;)

Thank you very much for all your suggestions -

except Pip's... How dare you suggest the machine is steam powered... It's far more advanced than that!

I have a donkey on a platform in the back garden...

I have had limited success sending some e-mails in bulk, but as you say, they arrive as attachments. What Mrs Secure would prefer is them being sent individually, as then when she replies to them, the replies back go to her inbox, not mine.

I will try the memory stick idea.

Where 'Archive' is any name you choose to use...

In your own machine.
Create 'Archive' folder in OE, then drag her messages into it.
Close OE and copy the "Archive.dbx" file to a mem stick / flash drive or cd.
How to find .dBX files (where OE stores emails in files, names matching folder names in the prog.) Open OE... Tools : Options : Maintenance : Store folder button ... Highlight and 'copy' store address, paste into file explorer and be taken to the store folder.

Open Wife's OE create "Archive" folder, copy one message into it (to force OE to create the *.dbx file, double check, look in her store folder), close OE, and then replace the "Archive.dbx" file with copy from your machine.
Open OE open Archive there sit the emails... hopefully.

This may seem 'long winded' but you learn several things - where the files are stored, how to find them, then quite likely when the dbx files are created and what happens when they are - easy to then back up em's and recover them, even if OE will not open.

:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back