TRANSFERRING OLD VYNAL RECORDS TO CD DISC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone...I am not sure if I am in the right category here, but I am seeking adbice, suggestions, etc., regarding where to go to transfer old hard plastic/vynal records onto cd disks?

The records in question were made in the 1960's by some of my family members at Liverpool Street Station in a "record your own voice" booth!

The records are a little smaller than the old "45 size" single vynal records and the material they are made from is much thicker and harder than the old vynal record material which was quite bendable. These records are quite thick and very rigid.

These records are recordings of some of my family members who have since passed away. Needless to say, they are of valuable sentimental value to my family.

Would so much like to get them copied onto modern day cd's.

Any suggestions as to where I could enquireto get this done, or anyone who knows of a company who does such work?

Look forward to any and all replies. Thank you.

Sagleo

Sponsored Links
If you don't mind spending a hundred pounds you can get a USB turntable they usually come with software such as Audacity which will record the discs to a file format such as Wav(if you'd like to make audio cd's that play in a CD player)
Do a search on google for USB turntable.

To Tim West....thanks Tim for this suggestion and idea re a USB Turntable. Not being very computer literate I had not heard of such a turntable, however, I understand what you say, once in a file format it can then be "Burned" to a disc.

Would such a turntable take an odd size record; as mentioned in my posting they are smaller than the old type "45's" of yester-year?

I will check out Google and see what I can find for USB Turntables....thanks for responding.

Sagleo

use "sound recorder" to listen to them, wont notice the quality, since old ones will be scrathy anyway

Sponsored Links
Breezer, thanks for your suggestion and for taking the time to respond. Your suggestion is another good option I have learned about since posting this query.

Tim West and Breezer - thanks again with your responses you are helping me increase my own knowledge and that is really appreciated....being retired and a computer user for only a couple of years, I am slowly learning. :D

What I would like to find out if anyone knows of a company who specializes in doing transferring from vynal to cd? :confused:

try google (its a search engine) but first talk to the bank manager

Thanks again Breezer....yep, I know about Google and I will plan to have a browse to see what I can find.
sagleo

I have used Audacity to record inputs on a PC before. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You should be able to plug a turntable into your PC soundcard and use audacity to record it. Save it as WAV and then use a program such as Nero or Windows Media Player to burn it to CD.

Spark 123....thank you for your response and suggestions. I have taken note of the link and will check it out. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I have learnt a few things here these evening from my posting.

Thank you again Spark123, Tim West and Breezer

Deluks...thank you for the link to Personal Computer World. Lots of reading there which I will do later but feel sure I will yet again glean many things I did not know.

No offense meant but I would like to say, why not express my thanks to each person who has taken the time to read my posting, give it some thought and then take more of their time to post a response....if I were chatting to each of you in person and each one of you offered the same information and suggestion as in your postings, I would certainly thank you all...to me this exchange is the same. Besides, I am pretty knew to computing and I have learned many things from all you people who took the time to respond. That is much appreciated. I may be back at a later time with more computing questions! Wish I had half the "know-how" you all seem to have.

Thanks to all of you.
sagleo

I have copied vinyl to PC with XP Home with reasonable success and no cost by simply using windows movie maker to record sound from the sound card line in. I had my turntable plugged into my mixer then used a twin phono to 4.5mm jack to connect to the line in port of the sound card.

I then found several free to try converters on download.com so could convert the WMA (If i remember correctly) files produced to whatever format I desired (I chose mp3 for various reasons) before burning to CD using software bundled with the PC - in this case nero.

You may be able to use windows media player to burn WMA straight to CD, I haven't tried it so can't comment but its worth a look. Windows media player may also record from the sound card line in port, again I haven't looked.

I guess this all depends if you already have a turntable and preamp? or a friend that could lend you one

Hi Ollien, thanks for your suggestions and advice - all good stuff. I think the popular suggestion seems to be the turntable set up.

I am seriously considering this now since reading your feedback and that of other members who responded. I still have many old vynyls - LP's, 45's (even 78's), these were probably before your time. So a turntable would be the answer to produce all my favourites from yester year!!

I have really learnt a lot here from all these responses. I am pretty new to the more tehnical stuff and "add on" items for computers. As I am a "silver haired oldie" :LOL: it's good to keep the old brain cells challenged as much as I can. ;)

Thanks OllieN.

sagleo

You could play them through your record/LP/hi-fi player, Get a 3.5 "jack to jack plug" and put one end in to the head phone socket of your hi-fi and the other in to the "line in " of your sound card as similar to above post.
I use Sound Forge 8 to record the LP then DB PowerAmp Converter to convert to MP3 then Nero 7 to burn on to CD.
There are probably many other programs you could also use for the same outcome.

Sponsored Links
Back