Best way to plumb and then control our new heating & hot water system in old house...

Sponsored Links
What is he raising concerns about?
  • Space in the services cupboard is limited - but he says he can make it fit.
  • Number of electric valves - that could break in future with wear (but I'm planning on specifying the Drayton ones where the motor is replaceable (click on/off).
  • As the house is old he recons the downstairs underfloor heating will heat the whole house - so the upstairs rads will hardly be used and not worth the extra expense.
  • He says we are mad specifying what we are...
We're set on having a modern heating system making use of the current tech on offer and we are wondering if it's just the guy not wanting a slightly more complicated job!

On the plus side undefloor heating pipes are down and looking good :)

How deep are the first floor joists?

If they're 100mm like a lot of old cottages bear in mind you can't notch them!

How deep are the first floor joists? If they're 100mm like a lot of old cottages bear in mind you can't notch them!

thankfully the joists run the correct way and we can get the pipes to where we need them :)

Any thoughts on the proposed system?

Sponsored Links
  • Space in the services cupboard is limited - but he says he can make it fit.
  • Number of electric valves - that could break in future with wear (but I'm planning on specifying the Drayton ones where the motor is replaceable (click on/off).
  • As the house is old he recons the downstairs underfloor heating will heat the whole house - so the upstairs rads will hardly be used and not worth the extra expense.
  • He says we are mad specifying what we are...
We're set on having a modern heating system making use of the current tech on offer and we are wondering if it's just the guy not wanting a slightly more complicated job!

On the plus side undefloor heating pipes are down and looking good :)

What I get where he may be coming from he seems maybe a little "old school"

Having read your entire post now from a month back, you seem the kind of client that wants to have the convenience of modern technology, the ability to upgrade with IFTTT tech, yet also can respect the character of a building.

I can't speak for everyone but you sound like a great client!

Maybe just have a sit down and a chat with your guy and explain what you want and hope to achieve. He should be working with you. Maybe point him towards us and we can alay his fears.

Oh and please tell me you binned off the idea of the Potty boiler!?

Jon

Any thoughts on this setup?

Is this overkill?

Would you install a system like this?

^^^^^^ was meant to be a quote from the OP seems to be playing up tonight? (the quote function not the OP! :p)

Set up sounds fine, heatmiser I'm not too keen on but that's personal preference.

Overkill, a bit yes! But is it what you want to achieve the end result? Looks and function? If so then no.

Would I fit it? Depends again as we haven't seen the building, the layout and what else could achieved. A few of us can create our own controls or use bespoke software to create individual systems.

But if I were you and had the opportunity and wanted it then yes. Just wish you had a better guy to guide you and help you.

Also as an aside had you given any thought to renewables? Biomass, GSHP etc? Could work for you long term if you looked that way?

Jon

Last edited:
Thanks for the reponses all... Greatly appreciated.

We will press on and he will fit our desired system ☺☺☺

I've also found the Sunvic Momo SZMV 2322 15mm valve which would help to save some cupboard space over the 22mm alternatives!

Re the boiler this has not yet been finalised - I know one was suggested earlier and I have yet to go back to the plumber on this point as we're a little way off that stage... I'd really welcome a list of better alternatives I could put to him to choose from (for similar money if poss). In the past we've fitted a procombi and an ideal combi (which whilst cheaper had good warrantys hence the decision) - never had an issue with either..

Also as an aside had you given any thought to renewables? Biomass, GSHP etc? Could work for you long term if you looked that way?

Jon

We have but it's not gone anywhere... wife won't have solar panels and little space for anything else. There is also cost implications that we need to consider (I know, haha after the system we're going for!). So for now we're sticking with gas!

Heatmiser sadly is the best alternative to multizone on a budget that I've found. Works fine but the ui on the stats is poor. But the app makes it easier.

As for sunvic.... Avoid! Better off using a trv body and thermoelectric head.... As long as reaction time isn't an issue, which on heating it shouldn't be.

As for sunvic.... Avoid! Better off using a trv body and thermoelectric head.... As long as reaction time isn't an issue, which on heating it shouldn't be.

I had started out thinking we'd use a manifold with actuators but told by several that the response time would be a bit slow resulting in rooms peaking in temp, then dropping, then peaking etc...

The heatmiser stats can control valves directly removing the need for another wiring centre... hence the plan to use valves, due to space limitations I'm looking for a 15mm one...happy to go with another make if anyone else makes 15mm valves :)

Reaction time is not a problem. The controllers take that into consideration.

Ah - in that case we could go back to a manifold setup for the upstairs rads..!

Too many options to think about and not assisted by our plumber not being on-board with our plans...

Last edited:
Reaction time is not a problem. The controllers take that into consideration.

Fyi (and anyone else that stumbles across this thread in the future), I have an ongoing discussion with a very helpful person at heatmiser tech support. He has advised that the neostat's do not adjust to the actuator speed, he suggested using the switching differential at 0.5'c, if the room were to overshoot the desired temp this could be increased or you could decrease the boiler temperature. So, looks like if the controls and boiler are set up right it shouldn't be a problem :D

Also, following Dan's helpful advise I have been in touch with a local plumber that I have found via http://www.ecotechnicians.co.uk/. He seems very knowledgeable on it all and said my proposed system sounds great - he's popping over this Sat for a chat, our current plumbers refusal to drop is "old school" ways may have lost him the job (subject to cost of course!).

Will keep this thread up to date on things as they progress as I can't be the only person having these problems (n) - might help some other people when they search in a year or two's time!

I can't speak for everyone but you sound like a great client!

Oh and please tell me you binned off the idea of the Potty boiler!?

Jon

Not my idea of a great client if he is fixated on a Potty boiler!

Unless he is easily convinced by those Dutch boilers with only three moving parts.

I also dislike Sunvic valves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my idea of a great client if he is fixated on a Potty boiler!

I'm definitely not fixated on it (y) ...boiler choice is not done yet, just trying to agree the system!

I like the look of the ATAG system boilers :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back