Transformer in waterproof box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody knew where to get this kind of transformers? (I have attached a picture) a 230v to 12v. It is used for 3x garden lights. And I need it for inside a waterproof box. And there is more than just 1 waterproof box there and the client doesn’t want to have an odd one out so I can’t just change one, I need to somehow replace what is already in the box. I have tried an electrical wholesaler and they didn’t have any. I have done a few jobs in this house recently and this is the last one. Or would anyone have any suggestions for an alternative way?
Many thanks. View media item 4572

Sponsored Links
How many watts do the lights need?[/quote]

Thankyou for your replies.
3x 50 watts capsule halogen. Each cable is over about 10m long.

Sponsored Links
why not get an ordainairy electronic transformer and put that in the box?

Torodial transformers usually last for yars, so i supect somethning else is at fault, corrosion? if so the electrocnic transfomers will also corrode but be cheaper to replace

An electronic transformer would not be upto the job breezer as the leads he has stated are 10M long, most electronic transformers are designed to be wired for a very short distance to the lamp. Any long distances would cause excessive volt drop colour rendering problems and premature failure of the transformer. Also being outside in a waterproof box would be subjected to moisture and humidity. How much is there to go wrong with an electronic transformer as opposed to a toroidal ?

I rest my case

Nick

An electronic transformer would not be upto the job breezer as the leads he has stated are 10M long, most electronic transformers are designed to be wired for a very short distance to the lamp. Any long distances would cause excessive volt drop colour rendering problems and premature failure of the transformer.
I await with interest your explanation of how a 12V toroidal transformer overcomes voltage drop in a 10m cable better than a 12V PSU.

I am not saying an electronic transformer can beat the violt drop issue and neither can a toroidal, but as i stated before there is a hell of a lot more to go wrong with an electronic transformer than a toroidal. All of these DIY garden LED lights and deck Light kits have toroidal transformers even in the Plug in PSU type. All i am saying is if you buy any electronic transformer then the instructions will no doubt state there is a maximum permitted llengtgh the cable can run to. You will probably find that the old transformer might have died as it was not upto the job of running the lamps at that distance from the transformer. Maybe bigger cables might be needed between transformer and light fitting to alleviate some of these problems.

Nick

All of these DIY garden LED lights and deck Light kits have toroidal transformers even in the Plug in PSU type.
They're switch-mode PSUs. They may have a toroidal transformer in them but that's not the same thing at all.

All i am saying is if you buy any electronic transformer then the instructions will no doubt state there is a maximum permitted llengtgh the cable can run to.
Yup, because otherwise voltage drop will be too high.

You will probably find that the old transformer might have died as it was not upto the job of running the lamps at that distance from the transformer.
I await with interest your explanation of how increasing the resistance of the load, and therefore drawing less current from the power supply, caused it to fail. ;)

anyway Many thanks to you all guys for your advice & replying. :)
yeah in the end i did order them from website rswww.com.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back